Shift lever doesn't return after downshift

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like your bike doesn't like you...

I use a regular 10mm socket on a wobble extension(1/4" drive). I have seen pics of the frame tube joint on our bikes and it seems like Kawi can use many variations of a gusset to reinforce that joint. I ground off a small amount of that gusset to give me better access but it should also be possible to use a box end 10mm wrench from underneath.
To do that I would grind off the heads of the stripped fasteners and remove the skid plate-you should be able to grab the nubs of the damaged bolts and work the out-use penetrating oil and some heat if they are really stuck.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GBAUTO
Sounds like your bike doesn't like you...

I use a regular 10mm socket on a wobble extension(1/4" drive). I have seen pics of the frame tube joint on our bikes and it seems like Kawi can use many variations of a gusset to reinforce that joint. I ground off a small amount of that gusset to give me better access but it should also be possible to use a box end 10mm wrench from underneath.
To do that I would grind off the heads of the stripped fasteners and remove the skid plate-you should be able to grab the nubs of the damaged bolts and work the out-use penetrating oil and some heat if they are really stuck.
Yeah, and previous owner overtorqued everything
Box end wrench won't fit, I've tried. That metal bulk/extrusion at shift shaft is too close to nut for box end to slip on. Is yours a 2nd gen klx? Mine's a 2006.

My only 10mm socket is a deep one, but I don't think a short one will make a difference. I'm trying to find a thin-walled, shallow, 10mm swivel socket online and not having any luck.

I hadn't thought about using a grinder. I don't have one and I'd probably screw something up since I've never used one. But maybe one of my neighbors can help.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:03 PM
1st Gear Member

You must have some pretty beefy wrenches because that's the first time I've heard of that problem. You would have better luck using a thinwall socket with a wobble extension.