Shift lever for an '09 250s

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Shift lever for an '09 250s

I recently bent my shift lever pretty badly at my first trail riding experience in Gorman, CA. I don't really want to get the OEM lever because it didn't seem too strong.

Does anyone know of any Tried and True shift levers for the 2009 KLX250s that are aftermarket? I saw some forums about people trying to find out but never saw a solution. Or should I just sack up and get the oem? I don't really care what brand, as long as it works for you.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Search shift lever on here
Here's a good one https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=shift+lever

Old 12-02-2009, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

thanks for that! Just bought the MSR lever for the XR650L off ebay. Hopefully its a lot more bend resistant than the OEM shifter for the KLX.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 AM
1st Gear Member

let us now how the splines match up when you get it. I'll need a new one soon and was thinking of trying that xr650 lever

Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I will for sure let you all know. Supposedly its a little wider than you'd normally want for this bike so they said just some minor bending will make it perfect. But yeah I'm stoked.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackhawk32
thanks for that! Just bought the MSR lever for the XR650L off ebay. Hopefully its a lot more bend resistant than the OEM shifter for the KLX.
Years ago I snapped the shift shaft off, right at the engine case, on my old KLR. Sure wish the lever would have bent instead. Careful what you hope for.

Look at these for bent lever prevention. Dan
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=brake+snake
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ht=brake+snake

Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

dan is dead right on the potential consequences of too strong a lever. Some folks who really head into the wilderness on long haul epic trips even drill a hole in their shifter lever so it will break in a hard impact. A broken shift shaft is a nightmare scenario compared to a tweaked lever.

That said, I have that exact MSR lever on my KLX. The splines are the same. I did tweak the two bends a tiny bit to get a more preferred position, but that was easy. What I liked was the slightly extra length. The OEM lever was too short IMO.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:14 AM
1st Gear Member

The length of the stocker is a huge problem for my big goon of a son. Since raising the lever up a couple splines didn't work out I'm hoping the longer lever gives him some room to get his big foot underneath it easier.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Years ago I snapped the shift shaft off, right at the engine case, on my old KLR. Sure wish the lever would have bent instead. Careful what you hope for.
Very good point.
I have bent my lever a few times now and read here somewhere that a bent lever may well be a good result.
Energy has to go somehere.

Errr, last time.
Name:  Bent.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  104.5 KB

It is easily bent back once you get it in a vice.
I may weld a small brace over where it usually bends so it bends in a different place in the future.

I like the snake idea as it will transfer the load to the frame.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

hey I basically did what you did in that picture except mine was like right above the peg basically haha but wow that is one crazy bend. Yeah I kind of do hope this MSR lever isn't TOO strong lol.

Quick Reply: Shift lever for an '09 250s