Severe drought = good riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Severe drought = good riding

Hope you don't mind seeing some orange here in amongst all the green.

Some say every cloud has a silver lining ... well, in our severe drought here in central NC, that would be that the extreme low lake level makes for some darn good riding. I skirted the rim of the lake a month or two back but only went a short distance because while the water was pretty low, the ground was still pretty soft and I didn't want to sink up to my seat in an unexpected sink hole.

But virtually no rain in those last two months has the lake even lower, and the rim even dryer. So I went on a little exploratory mission this evening and came back with a few photos.

The treeline is where the water usually is. Pretty low, eh? But man, you can really wind it out along the rim, that's some fun ****, right there!

It just keeps goin' and goin'. This may not be a big deal to you guys that have lots of riding areas, but here where I'm at finding a good trails is pretty slim pickens and when you do find one, you're always paranoid you're on someone's private property. Even when you find one, it's generally not real long. I envy you guys with the 100's of miles of trails to explore. I'd be happy with 10's of miles. So skirting the rim of the lake here sure is a real special treat.

Off to the left:

This lake is man made by the Corp of Engineers and when they dammed up the river, it swallowed up several roads in the area. This old road has been under water for decades but is now exposed.

Some KTM eye candy.

Yeah baby, doesn't that look fun???

Mud was not too hard to find if you wanted to - sweet!

Ok, last two pictures, just to show the contrast from normal lake levels vs our drought levels, check out these next two. The first is my KLX from about a year ago, note the water in the background.

This photo was taken from that exact same location. The waters edge is now about 50 yards to the left.

I can't wait to go back and the next big rain will surely be bittersweet because good lord we need the rain, but I sure will miss riding here.

Old 10-05-2007, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Severe drought = good riding

Wow Brian it looks kinda dry there as it is here........I'm heading to Hatfield McCoy on my 12 trip for a week sat and its very dry there.....If you remember me and the wife were married a year ago in the Trail Heaven area......

Old 10-05-2007, 03:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Great pictures!

Looks pretty wet from where I'm from. Come to Arizona, great views, lots of of sand, plenty of cliffs, NO MUD TO GET STUCK IN OR TREES TO HIT! Deej would love it - impossible to get your bike dirty here - dusty, but not dirty! If you keep showing pics of your KTM I'm going to show pics of my old Suzuki.

Name:  MARK_SUZUKI.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  40.5 KB

Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

great pic's brian. we're fairly dry up here also but nowhere near as dry as you. not trying to one up you or anything but this is mud

this was taken in new hampshire at the dual sport ride in laconia this past june. the front tire was up against a root and the bike would not go forward. i had to lift the front wheel up out of the rut then lay the bike on it's side to get it all the way out. i was whipped before i got myself stuck and was completely wrecked by the time i got myself going again. damn good time though.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:42 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Now that's some good mud, Craig! I remember I got my front wheel stuck in some slimey snotty mud and it stuck like concrete. It was only in up to about the hub, but dang it wouldn't move for the life of me. Like you did, I eventually levered it out sideways and I guess if finally broke suction and came out. That was getting late in the evening before that and I thought I might have to pitch camp.

I'd love to ride in Arizona, Mark. Nice lookin Zook.

Bad Bear, who can forget the photo of you and your new bride on the quad at H&M? Must be a real special lady to let you do that. Hope all's well with you, man - we need to meet up at H&M sometime. I've been wanting to do a trip there.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Please no more bike pictures with mud on them I can't take it.[8D]

Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

ok....I just cut off myy cast......i had enough...........

Old 10-05-2007, 07:22 AM
1st Gear Member

whoo it stinks......LOLOL...smelly.......

Old 10-05-2007, 08:36 AM

Nobrakes,
Dukes of Hazzard that old road!! We want photo's!

Old 10-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

yea brian that looks sweet! it looks like you own personal flat track, except its not oval... and those cantelope sized rocks all over. .. did you ride the whole perimeter?

Quick Reply: Severe drought = good riding