Setting up timing chain problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:10 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
Ummm, I disagree, the exhaust mark must be on the down side of the cam chain link and the inlet cam must be on the down side of the link....not the pin dumb azzes.

Want to pop your motor.....go for it.

Sayin.
FM...I didn't think he was talking about the marks on the cam sprockets. I think he's talking about the plates vs. the pins on the chain. See the difference in dan's pic vs. tweak's pic? No offense to tweak, but it's a bit hard at times to comprehend his description. Obviously the cam timing in both pics is identical and correct...as long, of course, as the TDC mark is lined up on the flywheel.

FM, I think most of us know the proper cam timing mark orientation.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:36 PM
1st Gear Member

lol

Ok....I claim foul.

It just seems so obvious to me....havin done it so many times.....
sorry carry on.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888

As long as the number of pins showing is correct, you should be fine. Always always turn the engine over at least four revolutions with a socket wrench on the flywheel before starting it with the starter. If you feel any binding when turning it over with the wrench stop and see whats wrong. You can destroy things if the timing is off and you simply hit the starter button.
good luck .
If you PM me your email I will email you the KLX 300 manual which is the base manual for the KLX250s. It has the info you need. You email has to handle about a 20mb file.
Dan
Golly neds, looks like those IN and EX marks in the sprockets are lined up parallel with the surface of the head. Everything is right, no pin counting needed. If it was off by one pin one sprocket's markings wouldn't line up now - would it. Whereas if the pin count is correct, but the IN and EX marks don't line up with the head when the T mark is aligned with the mark in the side cover hole, you've got serious problems... it'd be out of timing. The pin count means nothing, the T, IN, and EX marks lining up are the critical factors. If it is off by one tooth it will be quite obvious in the alignment of the IN and EX markings. In addition if the cam chain had severe wear it might also be apparent in the alignment of marks, but I'm not positive of that.

A pin count may be in the manual, but it's purely irrelevant other than maybe to measure cam chain wear.

Last edited by klx678; 09-19-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
FM...I didn't think he was talking about the marks on the cam sprockets. I think he's talking about the plates vs. the pins on the chain. See the difference in dan's pic vs. tweak's pic? No offense to tweak, but it's a bit hard at times to comprehend his description. Obviously the cam timing in both pics is identical and correct...as long, of course, as the TDC mark is lined up on the flywheel.

FM, I think most of us know the proper cam timing mark orientation.
Right, when he said "the only place the arrows line up on the engine are in the middle of the link not in between like it should." sounded , to me, that he was worried about the fact that the plates on the chain lined up differently than he had observed elsewhere. Plates do not matter, timing marks and pins matter.
Dan

Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member
Smile eng 96

well thank you guys once again for baring wiht me and transulating my chicken scratch and do hicky names for my problem. Ya i was more concerned why my arrows only line4d up ion the middle of the link. But liek u guys said only pins and arrows matter well with a tdc crank thank you all again exspecially klx, dan, tnc, and saorry forgot ya.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Did it work?

Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default well

i turned i crank over manually so far chain seems fine i and goes with compression. when the cam marks line up( on their sprocket) i check the crank and its still tdc. i coudsl make a video displaing it. i hope she fires up well. i just need to makre a quick run for luquid coolent and gasket sealer. still waiting on a top end bolt. thanks again ill keep u guys updated. i do notice when the compression increases it creats slack in the midde under the chain gurard cause of stress but i think thats cause its without the chain tensioner pushin in at all.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:34 PM

Hello, I am working on a 1985 ZL900. It jumped time and needed a new timing chain and it broke one of the rocker arms. It arrived at my house in boxes. Does this diagram work the same on a ZL900? Do you have any info on the cam shaft caps. They are all marked and have to line up with the valve cover holes and they have arrows. Thanks Torsten

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by torsten
Hello, I am working on a 1985 ZL900. It jumped time and needed a new timing chain and it broke one of the rocker arms. It arrived at my house in boxes. Does this diagram work the same on a ZL900? Do you have any info on the cam shaft caps. They are all marked and have to line up with the valve cover holes and they have arrows. Thanks Torsten
Torsten, try here at the ZL-OA site. They're very knowledgable about the Eliminators. I'm a member there. They should be able to help you out.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ya she fired up great plus ur manual terinor looks great !! more pictures soon

Quick Reply: Setting up timing chain problem