Setting idle and fuel screw

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Setting idle and fuel screw

I'm sorry, I know this is posted somewhere but I've spend my entire lunch hour looking and I've got to get back to work[sm=headbang.gif]

My problem is with setting the idle speed and adjusting the fuel. What idle speed should we be shooting for and where is a good place to start the fuel screw (# of turns) to adjust for the high and low.

So farhave been trying to set my idle speed at just under 1500 (in stock it was steady at 1300) and fuel screw at 1.5. I adjust the screw in and out and don't get much change, although I noticed 1. the idle is pretty bouncy and 2. I have to ride it after adjusting the idle to get the true idle (if I adjust it idleing in the driveway where I want it, then ride it, it usually comes back to high).

I have also notice that when I stop at a light or go to park the bike it takes the 15-30 secs for the bike to drop to starting idle (like it will linger at 2300, then drop to 1400).

So what should I use as a starting point?

My mods are HMF slipon, kdx snorkel, k&n air, 123.5 main, and 38 pilot at 4400 ft. I didn't drill or smog anything (yet). Other than the idle it runs like a champ.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Setting idle and fuel screw

Mine does that too - I'm blaming it on the #40 pilot at 2500' elevation (going back to the stock #35) since playing with the fuel mixture didn't do a whole lot.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 PM
1st Gear Member

+1 My idle was all over the place until I dropped the pilot from a 38 back to stock.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear Member

I went back to stock pilot and 2.5 turns out and it has a steady idle all the time, just below 1500 rpm. Still requires the choke on startup and for about 30 seconds then its ready to go. I'm at 200' above sea level.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys...but here's what's confusing me. When I open the bike up it had a 118 main and a 38 pilot.Could thepilot possibley be mislabeled?I have not asked the dealer I bought it from (they are at 3800, I'm 4400) but I have talked to my local guy and he said sometimes the bikes come in running like crap so they change the jets out (part of that setup fee).The original setup idled fine and ran smooth, does going bigger on the main mean sometimes going smaller on the pilot?

BTW, I do have the extended fuel screw and it takes some pressure to turn it.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Probably not mislabeled, for the few bucks I would buy the #35 pilot jet, the service manager at my Kawasaki dealer gave me a handful of main jets and a couple of pilots to try for no charge.

I had the same problem with my Kouba screw and the only thing I could do to get the idle stable was to put the stupid stock screw back in, and I tried everything because I did not want ot go back to the lousy stock screw.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

The trick is to set the fuel mixture screw first then set the idle speed, not the other way around. Incorrect position of the fuel screw in relation to the pilot jet will indeed produce that wildly fluctuating idle. The KLX is pretty sensitive too and just a 1/2 turn difference can make a huge difference in how it idles.

I am at sea level and my mods are as follows:

125 main jet
40 pilot jet
Fuel Screw 2 turns out
Kouba adjustable fuel screw
N1TC needle on second notch
KDX snorkel
Smog removed and capped
7/64" drilled out slide
HMF slip on
87 octane gas

With this setup the bike runs flawlessly from idle to redline. It starts instantaneously with the choke, idles perfectly hot or cold, requires no warmup and I can push in the choke immediately once I get going. Idle is pretty stable at about 1300 RPM. Now this is pretty much the exact setup specified on the HMF site. I did mess around with the fuel screw before settling on the 2 turns out.When I wasat 1 1/2 turns out, it had a wildly fluctuating idle. It would go as high as2300 and as low as 700 making it stall. Like I said the 1/2 turn makes a big difference.

BTW, klx250s_rider, we have basically identical setup. The difference is, I am at sea level and you are at 2200 ft or so. Before you get rid of your 40 pilot, go to 1.5 turns out on your fuel screw, then set the idle speed and see how she runs. Let me know how you make out.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:57 PM
1st Gear Member

FM, thanks again for the carb advise - I'll take it "apart" this weekend and keep you posted.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Probably not mislabeled, for the few bucks I would buy the #35 pilot jet, the service manager at my Kawasaki dealer gave me a handful of main jets and a couple of pilots to try for no charge.

I had the same problem with my Kouba screw and the only thing I could do to get the idle stable was to put the stupid stock screw back in, and I tried everything because I did not want ot go back to the lousy stock screw.
Interesting...has anybody else had this problem with their kouba screw? I hate to have wasted 30 bucks for nothing!

FM-Thumper - Thanks man, I was approaching it from the other direction and it was driving me crazy. Should I start at 1 or 1.25 or 1.5 turns out?

Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FM_Thumper

87 octane gas
LOL, I totally missed that jab the first time I read through [sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Quick Reply: Setting idle and fuel screw