Screw Wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:11 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Screw Wind

So, I took my first longer ride today and ended up riding 90+ miles! But...Wind friggin sucks. The whole time I was riding It was trying to tug my head and helmet side to side (like shaking your head no). It was extremely annoying. Does this happen to everyone? I've got a Fulmer ADV for a helmet. But, on the bright side, I've got about 150 miles on the odo.

Mike

Old 06-07-2012, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, get a street helmet. Yours is good for short runs, for for long road trips, street helmet. Problem solved. The dirtbike looking helmets are all terrible in the wind because of the long aerodynamics of the front piece.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:15 AM
1st Gear Member

ride with an icon variant for everything...on my daily freeway riding...i need to keep my head fairly straight...i'm use to it now...when i look left or right..i just have to tilt my head as i look....

Old 06-07-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

I do a street full face. If I am going greater than 60 or so and look over my shoulder I feel it or if it is really windy out I feel it a bit. Not bad though.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do a lot of road riding, get a windshield. Even a small one helps. If it is not too windy, stay seated up. If the winds get bad, then you can hide behind it.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Well, I'll put up with it for now. The wind blows in the midwest. The running joke in Nebraska is if the wind quit blowing everyone would fall down. I was actually laying down on the bike when the crosswinds got to be bad enough. I'm sure I'll get more used to it. Thanks for the advice fellas.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klxrida
Yeah, get a street helmet. Yours is good for short runs, for for long road trips, street helmet. Problem solved. The dirtbike looking helmets are all terrible in the wind because of the long aerodynamics of the front piece.
I rode with this for 920 miles over memorial day weekend.....
Name:  TWVT168.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  98.7 KB

Sounds like its more of the design of your helmet.... My Oneal is very stable at speeds up to 70. I wore it out in colorado for 2 weeks strait of riding from single track to highway speeds.... No issues of the wind making my head move.
Name:  3412068.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  116.7 KB

Old 06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a road helmet and a dirt helmet. If you are going to do distance on the road it is worth having one of each

Old 06-07-2012, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Screw Wind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I took my first longer ride today and ended up riding 90+ miles! But...Wind friggin sucks. The whole time I was riding It was trying to tug my head and helmet side to side (like shaking your head no). It was extremely annoying. Does this happen to everyone? I've got a Fulmer ADV for a helmet. But, on the bright side, I've got about 150 miles on the odo
On my last trip back from Colorado as I was entering Nebraska and noticed that on the State sign the Nebraska state motto was "the Good Life". It was astonishing the difference between how windy it was in Colorado in comparison to Nebraska. I thought that perhaps I should start a petition to change the Nebaraska State motto. The first option that came to my mind is the "Show Me State", but that is already taken by Missouri and there really isn't anything to see. Then I considered that the new Nebraska state motto should be the "BLOW ME STATE" mostly because the wind.

Where in Nebraska are you located.

Dan

Old 06-07-2012, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

I picked up a used windshield from a member here. Makes a world of difference for highway riding.

Quick Reply: Screw Wind