Saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Saddle bags

So I've been looking for saddlebags for the past few months. I'm not sure what any of you are using but I really like the Nelson Rigg adventure dry bags.
My question is, do I need to have special mounting for saddle bags in general or are most universal with an over the seat mount system? A lot I've found seem to be designed to fit sport bikes.
I will be ordering the pmr rack with the side guards next season so it should help with the bags and mounting

Just curious as to what some of you are using and how you've mounted them.

Thanks

Ian

Old 09-16-2014, 05:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I've been doing tons of research and pricing and I think I'm going to get the Giant Loop Coyote bag. It's worth checking out. I'm sure there are many pros and cons per set up, not to mention intended use to consider. But it seems best bang for the buck is the Coyote or maybe Wolfman E12s if you don't need a crap load of space.

Check out the minimalist touring thread or small bike camping thread over on ADVRIDER forum and see others people's set ups.

Are you using it for camping or just extra space around town?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:30 AM
1st Gear Member

The GL Coyote is nice for trail riding and very adept at moving from bike to bike without needing racks. It has my vote. Look around here and you'll find some nice wolfman and other setups.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to state the obvious but I thought I'd point out bags that sling over the seat are awesome for many reasons, no racks needed, saves weight, in some cases it keeps more away from wheels and exhaust. I would say one thing to consider would be if your going to have a passenger or not. That might eliminate a lot of gear choices right there.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya I was thinking in terms of camping. I was thinking saddle bags then I could throw another dry bag on the seat and strap it down. One I order the PMR rack I'll get the Rotax fuel and water cans.
I have checked out that Coyote bag....
The Nelson Rigg adventure bags aren't as big as I'd like them. There's Oxford first time bags (hate the name ) and also there the Fly Grande saddle bags that seem to hold a lot of space.
I guess the main concern is whether the over the seat panniers will work on the KLX without side mounts. Assuming I strap them down properly and away from the exhaust.
Thanks for the input.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

The wire mesh part (cage) of a trouble light makes a good stand-off so the right side bag is off the muffler.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure if your an avid back packer or camper but I've just been doing some comparing and I think I've got my ideal set up thus far. The pack I wear when I hike is about 35 liters. That fits everything I need, food, shelter, clothes and even my bag. With that being said the Coyote for example is 39 liters. That gives you a bit of extra space, maybe rain gear or simple stuff for the bike while on the road. Also I can't remember what my pack weighs but I'm sure it's under 40 pounds, at 35 liters of volume I still manage to walk around fine and climb rocks. I think camping off the KLX will be a breeze. I think adding a lot of racks and hard cases will make the little 250 feel clumsy and less pleasurable but that's just MHO.

Sorry for the run on but as far as my ideal set up it might just be...Tank bag (already own Wolfman Enduro), Coyote and one dry bag to strap down on the back. If I needed extra fuel I'd consider a small rear rack like those billet aluminum ones with a one gallon Rotopax mount.

I looked closer at the specs and the Coyote comes with 3 dry stuff sacks and that exhaust heat barrier plate thingy. 342 on Rocky Mountain...hmm what to do...

Old 09-17-2014, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Ian, I have Cortech bags that go over the seat. I got them for touring on my sport bike...decided to toss them on the KLX one day to see if it worked. It did/does, but the strap is a pain to sit on, I can't run it under the seat because the bags would be too low.
I put a sheepskin over the straps for comfort.
I also have a rear rack with a pelican I use for commuting and long trips (it comes off for off-road, it can be a real pain in the a$$), but is a good base to strap things onto.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
The wire mesh part (cage) of a trouble light makes a good stand-off so the right side bag is off the muffler.
Now that's interesting....have you done it? Pics??

As far as the camping/back lacking thing I think I'd stick more to camping

Anyways, thanks for the input. I think 30 litres per bag is still small if u r going to carry cooking gear but....

I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ianmcdca
Now that's interesting....have you done it? Pics??

As far as the camping/back lacking thing I think I'd stick more to camping

Anyways, thanks for the input. I think 30 litres per bag is still small if u r going to carry cooking gear but....

I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Sorry if I confused my wording. I assume you'll be strictly camping off the bike but I was implying if you've ever back packed you'd have an idea of how much space you'll need for all you necessities.

I know this is a luggage thread but since you brought up cooking. I use a Jetboil stove, it boils water like crazy, makes coffee and everything fits in a 16 oz cup. I eat freeze dried food and snacks then catch legit meals on the road.

If you want more storage and potentially be cheaper than the Coyote you might be able to squeeze on E12s and a Mini Beta bag on with room to spare on the tail. That will give you 57 litres total plus Wolfman loves to add all kinds of straps and plastic loops to their gear. You can add other bags or those round fuel can holsters.

Quick Reply: Saddle bags