Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

I have some lite locs on the way, and the rims are drilled and waiting. Thanks for taking the time to write this all up.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No problem! Don't skip anything, though, i.e., don't substitute regular tubes for the ultra heavy duty ones, etc. Those UHD tubes are a key. I have pulled UHD tubes out of old worn out tires and seen pinch marks on them. But they have always resisted and have never let me down, though they are heavy, but I will make that sacrifice for the extra durability. And keep your pressure at 12-13 in front, and 10-12 in the rear - need an accurate gage. Rim locks torqued to 12 N-m. Spokes covered with a good rim strip. And I recommend nothing more slippery than plain water for lube on the tire bead. It will be darn near pinch and slip proof after this assembly and treatment. Just stay away from nails and railroad spikes.

If you absolutely must not be slowed down by that stuff, then a mousse is about the only option.

But then again, even mousse are not indestructible:

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Got all of the ingredients for your recipe. I have alway run hd tubes but now I am an ultra heavy duty kind of guy.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this - you tighten the rim locks down after seating the bead on the tires, correct?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:24 AM
1st Gear Member

yes, but you must make sure that they move in and out freely before you inflate the tire.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

how much did those excel rims put u back?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subasaki
how much did those excel rims put u back?
I got the whole wheel set front and back for $400 including new bearings. They are in great shape, better than I was expecting. The guy I bought them from rides hard and fast, I figured they'd be dinged up and crooked, but they are in excellent shape.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding this - you tighten the rim locks down after seating the bead on the tires, correct?
As redpillar said, yes, but make sure the rim lock moves freely in and out when you push on the stem to make sure the tube is not caught in between the rim lock and the sidewall or anything.

Also, fully air them up, seat the bead, then bleed the excess air back out down to your normal running pressure, then tighten the rim lock.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Nobrakes, that's an excellent writeup for tubes...well done.

However, I have one word.....Nuetech Tubliss.....no.....wait.....that's two words.

Just got back from nearly 3 weeks in southern Utah on mine. I'm now going to my 5th rear tire and 3rd front tire on my 3-year old Tubliss system with never a leak, flat, or failure. Even a large nail in Colorado didn't cause me to lose air in my rear tire...only noticed it when I was lubing the chain in camp.

Bib Mousse isn't the only option to tubes out there. Tubes work, but I and many others have had zero issues with Tubliss. And, you can always install a tube on the side of the trail if the worst case scenario occurs, just like with a flat tube.

Attached Thumbnails Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting-neutech-1.jpg   Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting-tire-nail.jpg  
Old 05-14-2012, 05:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey Thad,
Do you still use rim locks with those?

Quick Reply: Rim Locks, Tubes, and Tire Pressure Formula for Flat-Proof Off-Road/Dual Sporting