Riding gear weight!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Riding gear weight!

I'm going to order some heavier fork springs and thought it wise to weigh myself. 75kgs (165lbs)
Then I thought, put all the gear I ride in on and see how much difference it makes.
10Kgs!!!(22lbs)
There is quite a difference and that didn't include the 2 litres of drink I start out with or anything else I would carry in the back pack and bum bag.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

When I took my 700 mile trip to Canada I had nearly 100 lbs extra on the bike with my then weight of 270, I had all the power I needed, I really don't get why people are so obsessed with weight on this bike. Just ride and have fun, it seems that with or without the weight I still have plenty of power.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Seeing how the people around this bike weigh about 150lbs when it was designed. Probably my daily commute to work with gear is around 230lb. Trailing riding with the extra equipment is around 240lbs. And adventure riding with camping gear is around 280~300lbs. These numbers also include my own body weight. Which I'm trying to lose, so I'm going on a ramen noodle diet.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
When I took my 700 mile trip to Canada I had nearly 100 lbs extra on the bike with my then weight of 270, I had all the power I needed, I really don't get why people are so obsessed with weight on this bike. Just ride and have fun, it seems that with or without the weight I still have plenty of power.
Heh Deej,
It's not in relation to the power, it's in relation to ordering the correct springs.
I was quite surprised at just how much the gear I wear on a normal trail ride weighed and thought I would share the info.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

It is just more fun to ride when you are lighter.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh I agree. I would love to re-spring the bike, and I know that it would help in all riding areas, but I'm too poor Maybe someday. I think I take way too much stuff with me, maybe it was from watching Gilligan's Island all those years and not wanted to be stranded without what I need. I take different stuff depending on where I am going to ride, how far and even different stuff if I'm by myself versus with a group. It's funny I take extra gas nearly every time I go out for a long off road ride, and to this day I have never needed the gas, but for some reason I keep taking it. Maybe its because I keep thinking I will find a magical road undiscovered by humans, and it will take me to the land of the lost or the center of the earth.........what the!!!! Sheesh you look away for just a second and someone slips something in your coffee. Never mind.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey neilaction, Give the guy at MotoPro a call. He'll set you on the right path. By the way, since it's Friday, I'll be having a big can of Fosters this evening. Just thought you'd appreciate that. Good luck w\ your springs. They'll make a big difference.

Old 04-04-2009, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Deej, one day you will be glad you brought the gas, maybe to help someone else out or to start a signal fire. I think a litre of gas is good insurance if you are heading out into the unknown.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEWPARTSRULE
Hey neilaction, Give the guy at MotoPro a call. He'll set you on the right path. By the way, since it's Friday, I'll be having a big can of Fosters this evening. Just thought you'd appreciate that. Good luck w\ your springs. They'll make a big difference.
Yep, going to for .42's from Moto Pro.

Enjoy the Fosters.
You're stateside drinking Aussie beer and I'm here drinking Mexican beer.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction
Yep, going to for .42's from Moto Pro.
I'd go .44's I did and I weigh 170 without gear.....technically she is sprung for a 210 lb rider......up'ed the rear spring too.

This setup works real good for me with the stock valving......and when you loan her to a heavier friend ..... a lil preload adjust and the fat F won't bottom her out.

Quick Reply: Riding gear weight!