Riding alone

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pogiboy
IDRIDR,

How many weeks months your doc days before you can ride again.
Mannn, this just sucks. I just started riding like 3 months ago.
The Dr wouldn't give a date. Said it really depended on bone growth and healing and didn't want to promise anything. At my 6-wk visit when I got the okay to start into weight-bearing, he told me a story of a MX racer in SoCal who busted his femur much like mine in a race. Same instructions...6 wks no weight...etc. The guy was out racing again 2 weeks after his injury, crashed, and BENT the titanium rod. He had to cut the rod in half and pull it out from the other ends. YIKES !!! . He told me "not to be THAT guy." That was April 3.

On May 1, he didn't tell me I couldn't ride. But he did say "if you do ride, don't wreck yet." I'd already been riding very easy stuff the weekend before. At that time, the leg still hurt like he!! to put much weight on it, let alone weight from trying to catch a falling bike. My femur break was nearly compound and there was significant muscle tear and damage, let alone atrophy from non-use. So that puts easy riding about 10 weeks out from my accident.

I go back in tomorrow for my 3rd after-accident visit and x-rays. I've been riding quite a bit over the past month, but nothing more difficult than gravel roads and some jeep trail. I'm standing on the pegs as much as possible to work the muscles and build bone strength. I'm a bit gun-shy about messing it up.

Eat healthy and take your pain meds. It's really difficult to catch up on meds when the pain gets out of control.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 06-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
The Dr wouldn't give a date. Said it really depended on bone growth and healing and didn't want to promise anything. At my 6-wk visit when I got the okay to start into weight-bearing, he told me a story of a MX racer in SoCal who busted his femur much like mine in a race. Same instructions...6 wks no weight...etc. The guy was out racing again 2 weeks after his injury, crashed, and BENT the titanium rod. He had to cut the rod in half and pull it out from the other ends. YIKES !!! . He told me "not to be THAT guy." That was April 3.

On May 1, he didn't tell me I couldn't ride. But he did say "if you do ride, don't wreck yet." I'd already been riding very easy stuff the weekend before. At that time, the leg still hurt like he!! to put much weight on it, let alone weight from trying to catch a falling bike. My femur break was nearly compound and there was significant muscle tear and damage, let alone atrophy from non-use. So that puts easy riding about 10 weeks out from my accident.

I go back in tomorrow for my 3rd after-accident visit and x-rays. I've been riding quite a bit over the past month, but nothing more difficult than gravel roads and some jeep trail. I'm standing on the pegs as much as possible to work the muscles and build bone strength. I'm a bit gun-shy about messing it up.

Eat healthy and take your pain meds. It's really difficult to catch up on meds when the pain gets out of control.
Thanks. I guess I'll be out of commission for a while.
Regarding the pain meds, I'm taking it, every 4 hours rtc for now. Yeah, tried extending it longer but pains more difficult to control. Thanks

Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Pogi,
Very sorry to hear about your accident. I know too how bad pain is and how long recovery seems to take. Left femur broke 16 weeks ago today in a snowmobile accident (I got whacked just standing on the side of the road). Six weeks non-weight bearing, at least another 4 weeks on crutches. Lots of physical therapy and exercise. Be diligent with the physical therapy when that time comes. My limp is becoming barely noticeable now and quit taking ibuprofen this week. It's been quite a haul.
Hey man, really glad your are knotting up nicely. Us old guys do not heal fast. I think it has been about 5 or 6 weeks since I broke my ribs. I went riding for the first time yesterday, about 200 miles of hard fast dirt. I am sore today, and I can definitely feel my ribs still. Can't imagine how yoy guys are feeling.
See you in about 60 sleeps.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Man, that sucks. Get well. Like someone else said, eat healthy, and when you're ready rehab the **** out of that thing. I don't wanna bore you with old war wound stories, but my ankle, knee, and hip all know when it's going to rain/snow before the weather channel does. Other than that, and the occasional ankle give when I'm trying to cover my sons on defense, they're all good enough to wail on. Also, airport x-ray machines are way cooler now.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Did you have MX boots on and still did that?

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Heal fast!!! Unfilled then, ill keep your bike company ....

Old 06-11-2012, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

God speed on the recovery! Eat HEALTHY. Especially now when your body is starving for nutrients for the rebuilding/recovering process.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about your accident!!! Hope you heal quickly, and 100%!

I know exactly the feeling you had... I was fortunate to have 2 friends riding with me when I took a spill and broke my collar bone last spring. One of the things the doc had me do was to dose up on a calcium suppliment. At my age (50+) bones don't heal as fast as they used to, and the extra calcium helps a lot in that area.

Thanks for repeating the warning (again) for us all. I know I need to get a SPOT soon!!! I ride my bike alone, but I usually never go out on the sleds without another person with me. Funny thing is; I'm probably much more likely to break down on the sled -and more likely to crash on the bike.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Did you have MX boots on and still did that?
yes mx boots on. might have been worse. was wondering myself also. But was told it could have been worse.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's to a speedy recovery with no bad memories.

I do, unfortunately ride alone a lot because nobody else wants to ride in the places where I go. Looks like I need to cultivate a new bunch of friends...

My last similar situation (less severe than yours) included a broken right ankle following a washout much like yours. Unfortunately, that ankle had to be subsequently used to kickstart my KDX for the return trip. It simply wasn't strong enough to hold me up while I kicked it with the left foot.

Hey, move to Maine and we can ride together. Problem solved.

Quick Reply: Riding alone