Rider Height And Weight - Bike Setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:49 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rider Height And Weight - Bike Setup

Being we're all a bunch of men here and not ladies I can't imagine we're ashamed to say what we weigh and how tall we are.

I'm just curious because our smaller Asian friends set this bike up from the factory supposedly for a 150 lb. rider. I don't know many riders over the age of 15 that still weigh 150 lbs. Granted usually bikers, espeically off road riders are smaller in stature compared to others but 150 lbs is really small.

It's better to target a middle audience and hit some people right on the nose and have even more people close than to target a small minority (150 lbs) and have only some people on the nose and even less close. For instance if they set the bike up for a 170 lb rider. Anyone who weighs 170 lbs (which would be more people) would be fine and anyone within 10 -15 lbs or so both up and down would be close.

Seems to me if they are sending gawd knows how many bikes to America they would readjust these things. Or at least provide a couple a general setting suggestions in the manual. I say this because some people have no clue how to set their bikes up. An MX bike is easy, and to be honest I don't think you should set this bike up like an MX bike unless your going to be doing 95% off road riding and you have the bike heavily modified because the design of this machine just doesnt sit right at race sag settings. It feels like your being thrown forward.

I am about 6' I think and I weigh.....well, its been a long time since I weighed myself but I'll guess lower 190's lbs. in just my skivvy's without riding gear of course. And for me I have the spring sag set at I think around 11 cm I think. Somewhere around there. Maybe a shave more. And I am 2 clicks softer on compression I believe. And on the forks I THINK I am at 7 clicks out or so. I am going to have to check on all of this to make sure. I plan on turning in the front forks some more. Everytime I hit the front brakes the whole bike kicks forward hard and its dangerous. It takes too much weight off the rear wheel and I can hear the ***** on the rear tire (Kenda trakmaster) scraping on the road. It actually has small tiny chunks taken out of it on a few places. And if I leave off the gas reall quick the engine braking wants to throw the bike forward.

I actually liked the bike the way it was when I got it from the previous owner, which was even softer than stock. He wanted it so it was really low. It was nice having it so soft, and it helped make the bike more stable on the road and helped it hook up off road as well. Combined that with the 12t front sprocket and how some jackass put the exhaust flange on wrong and had a small exhaust leak making the over sized pilot jet (#38) the burn correctly this thing had great bottom end. Zero top end, but great bottom. Anyway, if it weren't for the bike sinking so low it would have been nice to keep it that way but you have to split the difference for being an all purpose and conditions riding machine that this is.

I'm just curious as to what the rest of you guys are running.
________
Weed

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
1st Gear Member

The front end is setup for 107lbs. rider so there is a big mismatch.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
1st Gear Member

was that a typo meaning 170 or did you really mean 107?
________
Gang bang college

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
1st Gear Member

over 15, weight over 150, i wish. ill be drinking age in a few months, still weight 140. maybe the beer can help me out soon.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

well im 6'1" and i weigh 225.... front clickers are all the way hard, rear end, adjusted the preload alot.... but i really should still buy the different springs.... dont have the 300$ though.....

Old 10-08-2008, 04:52 PM
1st Gear Member

No typo 107 is what the spring is setup for

Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kgwld1
No typo 107 is what the spring is setup for
That doesn't make sense if the rear is set up for a 150 lb rider.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Got it from someone else and john at moto pro the rears more in the 180 range hey I didn't make this bike just regurgitating the info.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM
1st Gear Member

i dropped a set of .44 springs in the front.. world of difference!

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
1st Gear Member

So, since I weigh 220, it means I should adjust my suspension, right?

Is it pretty easy and straightforward? Any pointers/tips/tricks. Never done such a thing before.

Oh, and will I need any special tools?

Quick Reply: Rider Height And Weight - Bike Setup