Ride Report: Texas Hill Country (sort of) 1/23/09

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ride Report: Texas Hill Country (sort of) 1/23/09

I have been away on business in NJ for the past week. I flew back Thursday night with my two close friends late that night. We settled in to beautiful Cedar Creek (that's Creek, not Lake), ready for an early start. Those of you from the Austin area will get that. Cedar Creek is no mans land. Cedar Lake is foo foo well to do land.

I woke up on Friday before everyone because I had a punctured rear tube. Everyone else woke up and we headed to Bastop Powersports for a new tube, and stopped at Fitties BBQ for some killer breakfast taco's. We eventually got the new tube in after some manly maintenance bonding. I was super mad because I really wanted to leave by 11am.

Because Boulder Creek only had 2 bikes for rent that day, my friends had to drive my car and I rode the KLX250. We stopped at a TigerMart for some water and powerbars. The weather was looking to be perfect.

After pointing out some local landmarks to my friends and endless droning, we passed 281 north. I pull over and call to make sure I was going the right way...nope, needed to head back 5 minutes go to 281 north to 1431. Woops.

Soo eventually we made it. The weather was PERFECT, around 80-85. They picked up their bikes, a Honda 150cc, smaller bike that was a perfect fit for my friend. He's a little short. The other friend got the TTR225. They were definitely rental bikes.

They had no gear and were wearing sneakers. After the 1st section of really rocky terrain they were wishing they had some more gear. We eventually tore it up and down Hog Alley, Dino Falls and Snoopy Falls...that one biiiig hill. It was dusty but not overly so. Chuck on the TTR225 fell over in a nasty fall down Snoopy Falls (maybe Dino? whichever is bigger!). Minor scrapes and bruises but that's what you get for riding in a t-shirt and no gloves! They were loving it.

There was no one else out there. Maybe because it was a friday. A group of 3 seems like the perfect amount for the trails. Eventually we encountered the camping area B, and the owner or rental manager was camping there. We were taking a break, and I started to see if I could pop any wheelies. My bike isn't so great at it. Well, my one friend on the little bike...he popped a wheelie. A big one. It nearly looped out completely, but he managed to hop off and grab the left side and grip and got it under control. It was a great save. I'm glad he knew to grab the left grip, not the right one!

We must have rode for around 4 hours. The sun was starting to head down, and we were around right where we started. We got a little cocky and headed out on a trail with steep rocky hills. After 2 tough ones, we came up on a hard left turn and a really steep rocky hill. With more experience, I headed up first. I fell over, got up, tried to walk it up...fell over. Did that a couple more times and realized that the hole my rear wheel was digging wasn't going to make it any easier for them. They helped out on either side and I sat on the bike, and counted to 3. With two extra human power in the rear, I made it up the hill. Not before I kicked a rock or two into their shins and stomach's. A 2nd rocky ledge presented itself to me on that run, but it was nowhere near as loose. I powered up and realized I was back on top of a connecting trail and it was a perfect last effort to challenge ourselves before we headed back.

Jimmy on the 150cc...well he powered up the 1st part no problem. It was impressive for someone who hasn't been on a dirt bike since they were 12. BUT he came to that second ledge, and looped out the bike hardcore! The bike went flying and I had visions of it landing on his chest. He knew enough to just push it forward and it went sailing over the ledge and landed at the very top! I yelled "At least you got it up 1st try!!"

Chucks 225 was all banged up with bent bars, a rear brake that didn't work. His 1st effort was the worst, so I helped back it down. I discovered a slightly different route. It was tricky because it was rocky with foot high grass. I eventually got Chucks bike up and parked it.

I discovered I had a bent shift lever that was bent all the way under the casing. We got a couple rocks and eventually got it so it wouldn't scrape and I could shift consistently. It was truly a great way to bond with some friends and end the day with a real challenge.

No pictures, so sorry bout that. The folks running Boulder Creek are very friendly and if you've got friends visiting and looking for a little adventure, then this place is it.

We stopped at Opies BBQ because it was the first place we saw. Great food and those Jersey friends were impressed. A long butt busting ride back, and we were eventually in Cedar Creek. All banged up, bleeding, bruised, sore...but very happy. Perfect.

I think I covered 180 miles that day on the KLX. It's turning out to really hold its own off-road. Though after a day at Boulder Creek, I don't look forward to the hour and a half ride back home. I need a trailer!

This is a cut and paste from another forum, but let me add this: Any HP mods you do to this bike will be magnified when you go offroad. With a jet kit and full exhaust this bike and my skills are almost a perfect match. It's better than me in many ways, and I have only mastered a few things with it. At 28 years old I've only been riding 6 months. That's any kind of bike at all. I love this bike. Except when I get flats. On heavy duty tubes. You see out here, we got things called mesquite bushes and cactii. Sonuva BIIIIttc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Sounds like a great day, thanks for sharing, next time take a camera