Ride Report For Saturday 6-24-06

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Ride Report For Saturday 6-24-06

Ok lets see. The cleanness of the bike? There just isn't a lot of mud around here in the summer. The KLR muffler? LOL yes it is indeed a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower muffler. He is just not in a position to pay $500 for a new Big Gun. He does indeed have the 606 tire, I guess I forgot that he had the same tire, but he did put on the 130 instead of the 120 and it rubbed on the original muffler when he first got it. And lastly, the distance from my house to all of this awesome riding areas? It starts at the end of town and so about 2 miles from my house. I wouldn't trade where I live for anywhere else in the world. We don't have hurricanes, or extreme weather to speak of, oh sure we get 200 inches of rain a year, but after all it is next to the Rain Forest. No poisonous critters, no gangs, no traffic, and the fact that you can drive through town and you know at least half the people, well why would you want to be any place else. Not to mention the ocean 10 minutes away, 5 major rivers all between 1/2 mile to 15 miles away. The mountains,..........maybe I should shut up before everybody wants to move out here.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:01 PM

Umm ya Deej, I believe you will have a new neighbor moving into your neighborhood soon, he will have a KLX and he will be ME!! How did you even find this place man? Did you grow up in that area or did your job send you there? By the way I bet the ocean is COLD AS HELL, but I bet there is also alot of good fishing up there, I love to fish.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Lived here my whole life, unfortunately I haven't really been taking advantage of the areas. When I was 13 or 14 my Step dad would take all of us up in the mountains to fish and just generally explore. We had a 72 Chevy 4X4 and he would always look for placed to test out the 33" tires. Fast forward to now, and since I got the bike I have been re-discovering all of the great areas that have been unseen by me for almost 30 years. He passed away just a couple of years after I graduated from school, so this has been one of the best ways to bring back all of these memories. And as far as the fishing, well let's just say the rivers and the straights here are loaded with Salmon, and if you have ever caught a Steelhead, well that is one of the strongest fish to get in. A 20 lb Steelhead can fight harder than a 50 lb Salmon. Here is a picture of my boat, and the first only King Salmon I have ever caught. I fished some when I was in high school, but then sort of let life take over and got too busy, but about 8 years ago, I got back into it. I can count all of the fish I have caught on both hands, so this fish I caught last winter was a really big deal for me. The first fish is the 15 lb Steelhead I caught, and notice the boards are actually 2 X 10's and the second fish is the female king at 32 lbs, and it took me almost 2 hours to get it in the boat, and I was by myself, nobody to share the experience with, oh well I will never forget it. I could see the fish next to the boat in about 2 ft of water, and when I tried to pull it toward the boat, it was like my spinner was connected to a rock. I learned something about fish that day, with a slight current of the river all they have to do is point their head slightly to the left or right and the current holds them right there. Sort of like the sail of a boat. I bent the net getting it in the boat, and then I yelled with excitement even though nobody was around to hear me LOL.

Name:  Boat.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  100_4505Medium.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  100_4888.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  137.1 KB

Old 06-25-2006, 06:35 PM

Definatley jealous now[:'(]. How bout trout, do you guys have any trout up there?? That damned steel head is humogous, OMG. How did it taste By the way what kinda boat is that, it definetley is not the type of boat you see every day, what is it made for? To take on a rought river head on, is this what it does. Too bad no one was there with you when you caught your fish, but thats ok. The 1st time I caught a good size bass I was so proud of myself, but no one was there to share it with me, oh well, too bad for everyone else

Old 06-25-2006, 06:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh yea we have loads of trout, and I know some great areas to catch them. As far as the boat, its an aluminum river drift boat, curved so when you row backwards you can actuall keep the boat in a current in the river. The curve in relation to the flat part of the boat is called the rake. I bought the boat almost 2 years ago, and I have gone down about 12 or 14 times, and get nervous everytime. Some of the drifts around here I would never take on. There are guides all over around here and they have been doing this for 20 plus years, but even those experts can sink a boat if the right (or wrong) rock spins the boat sideways and fills up with water. So I am really cautious about which areas I go in. there is one drift that I seem to have figured out so I'll stick with that one. It usually takes 6 hours to drift, stop and fish and get to where you take out. Here are a few links to the area in which I call home.

http://www.forkswa.com/12.html

http://www.fishingnorthwest.com/guides.htm

http://www.fishingforkswashington.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?oi=map&q=Forks,+WA

Old 06-25-2006, 08:30 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Beautiful area, Deej. Too bad Google maps only shows the more urban satellite imagery in high-res. I find this a great way to find new places to ride, but the lower res areas like around your area make it hard to use. I wish they'd do high-res all over instead of just the more urban areas.

Old 06-25-2006, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

You got me thinking about maps, and I started to kick myself, because we have a great GPS/GIS person that is capable of making me any map from terrain to road to satellite. I'll ask her when I get back to work. She has access to stuff that we the public don't, so we'll see what I can come up with.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM

Forks is a pretty amazing place. I was there last weekend moving my son back here to Eastern Eashington for the summer. Took a drive up the Callawah and saw two bears and a bald eagle. (is that the bridge on the Callawah? sure looks familiar). We decided that that place is right out of National Geographic.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:25 PM
1st Gear Member

That bridge is actually the 3rd bridge that I call the high bridge. It's actually like 12 miles up. Who is your son, I may know who he is being a small town and all. Oh and do you have a bike? next time you come out I could show you some cool rides.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: deej

Well I decided to ride the same route I rode on Friday except this time I went backwards and took someone with me. I also took the camera and some pictures. The pictures show a friend of mine's son and I going from gravel roads, to quad trails to blacktop to quad trail mostly on Forest Service land. This first picture is the starting point on Rayoneer. Notice the pass thru gate that is starting to show up on DNR and other land owners properties. It means that they are opening up more and more areas here for riders. And that's awesome in my book.

Now I know his secret!

Deej rides his bike backwards!

That's how he can ride 60 miles in the dirt, keep his bike clean and complain about being saddlesore!

He's pushing the bike!

Quick Reply: Ride Report For Saturday 6-24-06