Ride day

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:48 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ride day

A local dealer (Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM) had a ride day today where you could come along and ride some of the Kawasaki and Suzuki range. Among the bikes available were Kawasaki's flagship touring bike the mighty GTR1400, the Z1000, Z750, Versys, Ninja 650R (ER-6F) and a cruiser. Among the Suzuki's were 3 crusiers (2 x 1800cc monsters) a GSX-R750, 1250 Bandit ABS, and a new bike I hadn't seen before the Gladius (650 V-Twin).

I got there early and helped them set up a little, signed up and put my name down to ride a few different bikes. For those that don't know I am intending buying a Kawasaki Versys later in the year, I test rode one a couple of months ago and enjoyed it. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=26468

I signed up to ride the ER-6F, the GTR1400 and the Gladius, the 6F and the Gladius I am interested in to compare with the Versys, the 1400 was one of those why not moments seeing as I had no intensions of buying one and probably will never get the chance to ride one again.
First up was to be the 6F however a mixup in the bookings had a lady thinking she was down to ride it when in fact I was on the list first up, however being the gentleman that I am I said she could ride it and that I'd reluctently ride the GTR. After kicking the paniers swinging my leg over I settled into the big comfy seat, turned the key on and after watching the light show (diagnostics) thumbed the big girl into life. I let it idle for a couple of minutes while donning my helmet and gloves and waiting for the other riders to get ready.

Easing the clutch out at idle the first impression was this feels light for such a big bike, it turned very easily as we idled out of the yard behind the lead rider. Down to the lights and wait till they went green turned to the right and eased on the power as we straightened up. 2nd impression was this thing pulls strong from very low revs. As we were still in the city I couldn't get up it much but the low down grunt was staggering as I proved once we got out of town. Oh yeah I also noticed it was the smoothest motorcycle I have ever ridden, no vibes at all through the seat, the handlebars and best of all the mirrors were clear (not that you need them much)
Once we cleared the city I could play a little more with the gearbox and throttle testing it out a bit doing roll ons at low revs as well as getting the revs up a bit (don't think I went over 6,000) don't forget this is one of the fastest and most powerful bikes on the road! I also played with the electronicly adjustable screen, when I started off it was on the highest setting which was buffeting my helmet around so I lowered it down and during the ride tried different positions, I ended up leaving it in the lowest position where my helmet was in the smoothest air.
We rolled along at around 110 - 120 kmh with short dashes up to 150 - 160 down the freeway passing cars like they didn't exsist for approx 20km before turning off the freeway onto the old highway. Needless to say this was the fun part with a few curves where the 1400 really handled very well, the name sports tourer suits this bike perfectly. Sure it may not flick like a supersports however once it's in a turn it stays where you put it and just handles anything like bumps and potholes. It is very sweet and neutral in the turns and the suspension is first rate and you don't even know you are riding a shaft drive bike. The brakes also are excellent, hauling the speed off at eyeball bulging rates. The GTR also has ABS which I did not try out but I'm sure it works.
I could go on but I won't bore you anymore except to say I think I'm in love, this bike has the lot, even comes with colour matched panniers.

Next bike I rode was the ER-6F (Ninja 650R to our American readers)

It's a nice blue which just happens to match my new helmet and my jacket. I am interested in this because it uses the same engine and similar frame and suspension as the ER-6N and the Versys and it is a little lower than the Versys which I found a little tall. Sitting on the bike it felt like a toy compaired to the 1400 and it had the nice light feel similar to the Versys only easier to handle when stopped because of the lower seat height. Fired it up and it settled into the usual twin cylinder doof doof, quite different to the silky smooth inline 4 cylinder of the GTR.
It was nice and light to ride however you notice the vibration through the bars and seat, not that I found it annoying but you do notice it after riding a 4. One thing I found I did not like was the dead, wooden feel of the brakes it reminded me of the brakes on the KLX before I fitted the stainless steel brake lines. Kawasaki wake up brakes are important and fitting things that don't work well is not a good selling point. My 1981 GPz550 had fantastic brakes the 2009 650 range should have equal or better!!!!
On the plus side the power and handling I enjoyed and apart from a bit of buffeting from the fairing I was pretty happy with the bike.
Until ....... I rode the new Suzuki Gladius

WOW! It accelerated harder, handled better and the brakes are excellent, no buffeting (no fairing) it just felt more composed, more modern and just seemed to be a whole new level of quality, like jumping off a chinese bike onto a Japanese bike, or changing from a Japanese bike onto a European bike. I hate to say it because I love my Kwakers but some of the Kawasaki range just feels cheap. The V-twin engine is a gem it has heaps of low down grunt and willingly revs out as well. Good one Suzuki.

Next up was the Z1000

This was the lightest steering bike I rode, it really was very easy to turn and I suspect if the going got a bit nasty or if you like popping the front wheel up you would need a steering dampner to keep it under control and the rubber side down. It also like the 1400 had boundless torque and would accerelate seemingly in any gear from any revs, an awesome piece of kit. Rode the Z750 on the way back from that ride and it was similar feeling to the 1000 apart from the endless grunt.

Don't get me wrong it has more than enough power it just doesn't pull like the 1000.

Last but not least I rode the Suzuki Bandit 1250 with ABS, pleasant enough bike if thats your thing, stacks of power like any of the litre bikes, good brakes, but once you got it over 110kmh (chasing the female Suzuki sales rep on the GSX-R750 at 160kmh) the rider just becomes a windsock and you have to hold on tight.

I had a great day and I enjoyed the bikes a lot more than the Harleys and Buells I rode on the last ride day I went to. https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=26437 I was very keen on the Versys but after riding the Gladius I'm not as sure now. It's a very nice bike and I do like the looks of it as well. However just before I left I mentioned to the Kawasaki sales rep I was disapointed the Versys (in Australia) only comes in green and that I really liked the orange, he smiled and told me something which might make me swing back to the Versys by the time I'm ready to buy.
Watch this space ..........

Last edited by MaverickAus; 05-04-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default extra pix

A few extra pix from the ride day I thought I'd share with you.

1st up is the baby Ninja's in black and blue ... awww ain't they just so cute, no wonder they are leading bike sales here in Australia dethroning for the first time in many years the good old CT110

The ER-6N is the naked version of the ER-6F and the doner bike for the Versys

The Monster ZX-6R is one mean looking bike and is currently attracting a $1000 cash back from Kawasaki

And it's big brother the ZX-10R is another mean machine. It also has a cash back incentive from the big K of $1500.

All the bikes above were static displays only.

A couple of years ago I saw this add in a bike magazine and thought "yeah that's a clever ad" well they had this poster in the shop so I took this pic

Lastly a couple of close ups of the 650R

Old 05-03-2009, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Dude, that was awesome!!!!

I love the monster zx-6r.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 8cuttlefish8
Dude, that was awesome!!!!

I love the monster zx-6r.
Look great would be awesome to ride.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice one Mav.
Cheers.
Let us know what you end up with.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:27 AM
1st Gear Member

No worries Neil

Old 05-04-2009, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't imagine a ride like that in the States. It would be a total cluster.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Wow
Mav
! What a great write up of the bikes there. Sounds like your day was truly awesome! I think I like the Monster bike the best out of all the bikes. Are you going to put dual sport tires on the
Versys
when you get it? You know keep your riding options open.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice bikes!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
Wow
Mav
! What a great write up of the bikes there. Sounds like your day was truly awesome! I think I like the Monster bike the best out of all the bikes. Are you going to put dual sport tires on the
Versys
when you get it? You know keep your riding options open.
Thats what this is for deej

Quick Reply: Ride day