Ride from Boya to Kalamunda, Western Australia.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 10:56 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Ride from Boya to Kalamunda, Western Australia.

Took a ride today, about 100km round trip. 38oC sure is fun sat on top of an engine. LOL.
Good mix of terrain, from sand, loam and hard pack clay to the marble type pea gravel that seems unique to this side of Australia. Sorry for the short post as I'm on dial up at the moment. (From 20GB to 64K, WTF.) Only enough time to post one image. You get the idea. Sure was a hoot. Hope all you in the north warm up soon. If I could bag some and send it your way I would, sunshine that is.

Power line trail from Boya to Kalamunda via Hacketts Gully. Sweet trail.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

how does your bike run in that hot of weather. Any problems with overheating? 38 C is 101 F right?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
1st Gear Member

These bikes will handle 100F all day long no problem.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
These bikes will handle 100F all day long no problem.
Not sure about 100F all day (haven't done it) but 95F and high humidity certainly. Bought my '07 last May and rode it through a central Florida summer. The radiator fan came on maybe half a dozen times all through the summer, and all in close trail, slow speed crawling after lots of warm up. Got to where I was surprised to hear the fan come on.

The heat is probably harder on me than the KLX.....

Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Bike runs fine. Didn't miss a beat all day, even topped 140kmh on the slab on the way home. As I recall the only time I've heard the fan come on was when the carb' was stock and I was crawling in deep sand for some time. Pulls sooo strong now, different bike from stock for sure. For extended high speed runs an oil cooler mod would be an easy option, increasing the bikes oil capacity to boot.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
For extended high speed runs an oil cooler mod would be an easy option, increasing the bikes oil capacity to boot.
For anyone riding in high heat areas that is a great idea.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

I've added a few more pictures with some small descriptions to my to my Flickr account.
See the new photos here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24373111@N08/?saved=1

Here's a taster.

Last edited by WestOzKLX; 02-04-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MaverickAus
For anyone riding in high heat areas that is a great idea.
I would ride an hour or hour and a half at 70mph indicated to the real hard trails in 100 degrees all this summer. The bike is excellent stock. The fan only came on when I slowed down on the single track or stopped at lights. It was hot and dry in Texas this year. A record total # of days above 100 I think.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Bike runs fine. Didn't miss a beat all day, even topped 140kmh on the slab on the way home. As I recall the only time I've heard the fan come on was when the carb' was stock and I was crawling in deep sand for some time. Pulls sooo strong now, different bike from stock for sure. For extended high speed runs an oil cooler mod would be an easy option, increasing the bikes oil capacity to boot.

Thats good to know, not that I have that problem where I'm at. Warm as it got last summer was like 74 or some where around that. I'm originally from Colorado and have been thinking about moving back it gets up in the high 90's 100's so that makes me happy to know its not a problem. The winter up in Alaska is just so damn long and forever cold. since I bought this bike its hard no being able to ride. makes me wonder why i'm paying on a bike that I can't even ride 8 months out of the year.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Nice thanks for sharing

Quick Reply: Ride from Boya to Kalamunda, Western Australia.