Renthal handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for confirming the damping Bob. I figured it was a needle and orifice kind of deal. Another question if I may. I see you're running 14 X 48 sprockets. Sounds like what I may want as well. About how fast can you comfortably run on the pavement with this gearing? Did I say one question??? Hehehe, what length dog bone are you running on the rear and are you pleased with the results, should I decide to lower the rear. I'm also going to get the pro taper 1 1/8th handlebar adapters which would give me another 3/4" to raise my fork tubes. For now I just have forks raised in triple clamps and shock preload backed off. Getting kinda cold here in WV, may get to ride some Saturday. Not even close to adjusting sag which may determine if I go to lowering link.

Thanks again,
Fred

Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

After trying bar risers, etc. I settle on ATV mid by Protaper. What really makes the bar shine is the long grip area giving plenty of room for control pods, etc.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Back in the day, when I purchased my 07, I found a set of Renthals that were listed on EBay that were removed from a new KX450 07/08 and got them for like $25. I have no idea the size, rise nor anything else but they fit perfect, no mods to any cables or switches. Came with crossbar/pad, were brand new and have always had a great feel to me. My objective was to make the KLX more like a KX and I did that. Still like new, garage kept with 9k miles on it.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by donaldor
After trying bar risers, etc. I settle on ATV mid by Protaper. What really makes the bar shine is the long grip area giving plenty of room for control pods, etc.
I say good call on the use of the ATV bar bend. Less complication and cleaner than the risers and standard bars, plus usually lower cost than the risers, alone, before adding bars.

Personally I always recommend the ATV bars due to the higher rise than even the high MX bends. That and you can afford to try out a few of the cheaper steel sets before going high buck. It also eliminates a bit of the "complication" of the second pivot point and head set clutter of a set of often costly risers.

ATV bars do usually have a tighter U area for the rise making the outer grip/switch area longer too. Of course ATVs often have switches requiring more area there than MX bikes which only have the small kill switch on the throttle side and maybe another small switch on the left.

Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by reinigef
Thanks for confirming the damping Bob. I figured it was a needle and orifice kind of deal. Another question if I may. I see you're running 14 X 48 sprockets. Sounds like what I may want as well. About how fast can you comfortably run on the pavement with this gearing? Did I say one question??? Hehehe, what length dog bone are you running on the rear and are you pleased with the results, should I decide to lower the rear. I'm also going to get the pro taper 1 1/8th handlebar adapters which would give me another 3/4" to raise my fork tubes. For now I just have forks raised in triple clamps and shock preload backed off. Getting kinda cold here in WV, may get to ride some Saturday. Not even close to adjusting sag which may determine if I go to lowering link.

Thanks again,
Fred
Fred, Hmm, honestly can't answer the cruising speed with that gearing. I don't ride on the street, and if I do, it's less than a mile at low speed under 30mph. I ride state forests which require a plated bike. I had it up around 70 or so, but not for long. Don't remember what the rpm's were. I would think you'd be ok, but not 100% sure.

Also, can't tell ya what length dog bone either. Mine is a turn buckle style (adjustable to lower rear 0" to 3.5"), and have it set so I'm 3/4" lower than stock at the rear. You can only slide the fork tubes up in the triple trees about 5/8" or so max due to the taper at the top of tube. My bike is kinda packed away for the Winter. But if you really need what I have it set at, I could measure it. May take me a few days to dig it out of my shed...lol

Sorry I wasn't much help Fred. I just don't want to incorrect info when I'm not 100% sure.

Last edited by Werloc; 01-11-2016 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
It also eliminates a bit of the "complication" of the second pivot point
Agreed on this. IMO the handling characteristics are altered and not in a good way. Noticeable when climbing or descending.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, you guys. Yep, my fork tubes are raised just enough to match the drop in the rear from backing off shock preload. I will keep same rake and trail as much as possible. No worries on checking anything Bob. I am good. I live on edge of Monongahela Nat. Forest which I want to ride. Can require up to about a half hour of 55 mph roads to get to some of the fire roads. But mostly I'll be about 15 mph hehe. I smashed big toe like a mater right after I got the bike and couldn't get boot on. Got to ride last Saturday (single lane pavement) but am loving this bike so far.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 PM
1st Gear Member

I personally think "Almost heaven, West Virginia" was coined by motorcyclists. You have the right bike for it. 15mph on some trails is relatively fast. I learned that when I used to think I was flying on some trails... until I rode a bike that had a speedo. I was doing 15-25 mph in the fast areas.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

I have protaper bars and risers on mine but I don't know what bend. They were given to me when I bought the bike and I swapped them over and chucked the stock bars.....

Elkins area is wonderful. I take my bike down to Harman wv and ride the roads and stop and trout fish. I generally ride in the Fairmont area since I have 155 acres to ride on down there. My friend across the hill has 200 acres.

I have stock gearing right now. I run 55 mph all the time riding to work. 30 minutes to an hour. I frequently put my laptop in my back pack and ride to other job sites. I can put 50 to 80 miles a day on it.

Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Yep, I had a couple '86 Honda Reflexes (so my cheap azz buddies could ride with me ). I had them geared like a trials bike. They would do 45 or 50 wide open in sixth. But 99% of the time I was in 2nd to 4th.