Remove snorkel

Old 08-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Default Remove snorkel

Can You Just Remove the snorkel and cover all together?

First post hope it's not a stupid question
Thanks

Old 08-04-2006, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Remove snorkel

Welcome and there is no such thing as a stupid question. where all here to learn. I have wondered the same thing myself. My bike is new so I havent done any mods to it yet. I will say when I had my Suzuki dr250 I just cut about a 4x4 inch hole in the top of the airbox and screened it in. It worked great. Seems more Klx owners go with the kdx200 snorkal then just opening the top of the airbox. Not sure which is better but I'm sure others can answer that question for us. And again Welcome.

LV

Old 08-04-2006, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Member

The answer is yes! Removing the snorkle, or the entire air box lid is perfectly ok. Water isn't usually an issue with the airbox opening to the bottom of the seat. Quads and MX'ers quite frequently run without an air box. You will however notice an increase in intake noise when you do this. I tried it for a short time and was really annoyed by the sucking sound coming from the carb.
So I think what most are trying to achieve (or at least I was) is how to get the most air in without making so much noise. Therefore the snorkles. Try running with your lid off and see how it works out. You will however need to make sure that you are running a big enough main jet, because without the lid on all that air comes flowing in and really leans out your engine.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM

Thanks!!

Old 08-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes after I got the Full Muzzy, the jetting and the 45 tooth back sprocket, the mechanic was clear about me running the bike without the air box cover. And as far as the intake noise, I can't hear that over the Muzzy LOL Hey I took the wife's bike out today after work and put 30 miles on it. It actually feels a little more comfortable than the KLX cruising down the road at 55. But it took me at least twice as long to get up to that 55, so I think I'll stick to my bike. Can anyone say "fat guy on a little bike"?

Old 08-05-2006, 08:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Man I weigh more than the CC'S of her bike, that's depressing.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

No worries, Deej - nothing a big bore kit can't fix

Old 08-05-2006, 08:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Nope I have decided to keep the Yamaha XT 225 as stock as I can, well except my wife wants the pelican case, but that's about it, well I guess I need a rack to mount the pelican case on,......oh man!!!!! Stop the insanity, its happening again.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

When i installed my uni airfilter, i guess i oiled it a little too much and the air box drain bottle had some air filter oil in it so when i parked it in the garage i took the little plug out to let it drain out slowly, being its very sticky and slow moving, so before i would go ride id put the plug back in. Well when i got home from one of my last rides the little plug is missing, so i looked it up and got a price on it... ready for this guys... KAWI PART # 92066- DRAIN PLUG..... ready.... $21.32 .... 21$ for that piece of plastic smaller than a quarter... so needless to say i didnt get it... thats crazy, so i have yet to find a makeshift replacement.... in the middle of installing acerbis tail light and flush mount turn signals.

Old 08-06-2006, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member

dont feel bad EMS_0525... within 4 days of having my bike delivered i had lost that plug AND cracked the clear bulb type thing thats on the line right above it.... my solution? remove everything from the bulb down and keep on truckin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remove snorkel