Recall Notice on2009-2010 KLX250

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I called a dealer today. They said they will inspect the tank for leaks and check for the proper clearance between the frame and tank. I believe he said it should be 3mm and best I could tell he wasn't talking about the mount tabs but the rubber blocks between frame and tank.?!?. Then, if needed, they would order the repair kit and a tank if needed. It sounds like the kit comes with about three different sized bushings.
Hopefully someone can find out more details.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome to Kawasaki.com

Type your VIN on this page and it will search if you have the recall or not.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default this is what it said, copied from kawasaki.com

Dear Kawasaki Motorcycle Owner:
This notice has been sent to you in accordance with requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
The reason for this notice:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2010 KLX™ 250 models. On eligible units, the fuel tank could leak from cracks at the spot weld(s) on the side mount tabs due to stress caused by excessive clearance between the fuel tank and a frame-mounted rubber damper. Fuel leakage in the presence of spark or flame could cause a fire or explosion possibly resulting in injury or death. Our records indicate that you have purchased one of these units.
What Kawasaki and your dealer will do:
Your Kawasaki dealer will correct this problem for you at no charge. The correction will consist of inspecting the fuel tank and repairing or replacing as required. The actual repair will take up to one hour but may take longer due to scheduling at the dealership and the time needed to obtain required parts.
What you must to do to ensure your safety:
Please call your authorized Kawasaki motorcycle dealer to schedule an appointment and take this letter with you at the time of your appointment.
DO NOT RIDE YOUR MOTORCYCLE UNTIL THE REPAIR HAS BEEN COMPLETED.
If you need help:
If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is not able to resolve, please contact Kawasaki’s Consumer Services Department at (866) 802-9381 (toll-free) between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Please have your Vehicle Identification Number ready when calling.
If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge within a reasonable amount of time (60 days after your first attempt to obtain remedy), you may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. S.E., Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1(888) 327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
If you received this notice in error:
Our records indicate you are the current owner of the 2009 or 2010 KLX 250 described in this letter. If you no longer have the vehicle described in this letter, please help us to update our records at Kawasaki Motorcycles, ATV, Jet Ski Watercraft, Utility Vehicles, Recreational Utility Vehicles by clicking on the “OWNER INFO” link or by calling Kawasaki toll free at (866) 802-9381. Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Reimbursement:
If you have experienced the failure described above prior to receiving this letter and have paid to have it corrected, you may be eligible for full or partial reimbursement for your documented cost of repair(s). To apply for reimbursement, please send copies of current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation to the following address:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
ATTN: Consumer Services Department
P.O. Box 25252
Santa Ana, California 92799-5252
Please note the following conditions for reimbursement:

Only repairs specifically related to this recall are eligible for reimbursement. Other expenses such as towing, rental, and accommodations will not be refunded.

Claims may be excluded if proper documentation is not included. Current owner and VIN information along with copies of repair orders and payment confirmation must be provided.
We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your continued satisfaction with your Kawasaki motorcycle.
Sincerely,
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Made this a sticky hopefully it will STOP the reposting.....

Old 06-23-2011, 05:41 PM
1st Gear Member

SOME DETAILS

The problem is that the rubber bumper on the frame just behind the steering head isn't high enough to contact the front of the tank and support any weight. This stresses the side bolt mounting tabs, causing the welds to crack and the tank to then leak fuel. The kit contains a couple of bumpers for the front (which one to use is determined by the clearance) and new side mounting grommets and bolts. There also a specific procedure outlined to check for cracked welds/leaks.

Last edited by ol'klx-er; 06-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:03 AM
1st Gear Member

anyone have serious accident with the cracked tank... whats the fix, replacing the tank or shimming it to reduce vibration thats cracking the welds?

Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I got my recall notice also. However I shot a quick e-mail to Chuck at IMS - remember the post awhile back about IMS making a bigger tank for the 09-10's? Well they have the model made and are starting the mold!!!!!! Really! I saw pictures! Should be ready in late July.
So, why have the dealer replace that little bitty tank?
jeff

Old 06-24-2011, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doc Gatling
Well I got my recall notice also. However I shot a quick e-mail to Chuck at IMS - remember the post awhile back about IMS making a bigger tank for the 09-10's? Well they have the model made and are starting the mold!!!!!! Really! I saw pictures! Should be ready in late July.
So, why have the dealer replace that little bitty tank?
jeff
Why not? Then you'll have to correct tank reair done if the replacemnt (IMS) tank fails.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Well I took my bike in to be Jetted,and to check the gas tank...well jetting is done and now they won't give me my bike do to the part to fix the tank is backordered...nice... they told me a couple of days,so next week sometime..they said we can't give a bike that has a recall and is in our shop waiting for the part..

Old 06-24-2011, 09:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Just what I thought. I'll fix it myself for sure now. They can kiss my _ _ _ if they think they'll keep my bike till they get a part from Kawi. That may take a month.

Quick Reply: Recall Notice on2009-2010 KLX250