Rear Sprocket Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Oh, and the machines all had more HP than the the KLX too, some even had more than 3X the HP. And they were strictly off road. If thats not going to wear the chain out a 50/50 machine with 18HP isn't going to.

I just can't stress enough how so extremely minor this is. To see aside jokes. Its really like saying putting an exhaust, opening up your airbox, and rejetting is harder on your engine and will wear it out quicker because its producing more HP now than it did before so you shouldn't do it.

So lets break that down in just a few forms because really we could be here all day with reasonings on how silly that just is.

1. There are 10 billion different things that would effect engine wear more so than pipe and jets/airbox. So thats nothing

2. its only a few HP

3. how long would the engine last anyway? something as low performance as this would last forever...so how do you put a number on what is less than that?

4. alot of people look forward to ripping the engine apart to big bore it

5. what would new engine parts cost anyway? piston kit? may as well do the cam chain while your in there because thats already junk

I could go on all day.

Lets let this "myth" die.

EDIT: one last final thing.....to everyone whos so worried about the chain wearing out...how would you even knew if your chain was in need of replacing? See....can't answer it can ya? So worried about this myth you never thought of the end result and what it might be when ya get there. Oh, and you can't say the whole "laying the chain on the floor and bending it sideways and if it bends more than half way around its shot" because that all depends length, most chains brand spanking new will bend more than halfway fresh out of the box, or soon after being broke in so that tell tale is myth too IMHO.
________
**** your tube

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

lol, Jasonfmx- the new IG. he speaks what he thinks and even though I haven't gotten along with him in the past, I kinda like it. no one else besides myself does that. kudos to jfmx.

cliffsta- I'm confused on what you want to do gearing wise. why replace the stock 14? 13/42 is the best all-around gearing for the bike. going 13/45 does not make a huge difference. I did that on my '06 KLX and couldn't tell any difference from 13/42. if you want dramatic differences in low-end delivery, you'd have to do two things: first of all you'll need to open up the exhaust and airbox, second you'll need to go at least 13/48 for gearing. 13/45 just doesn't cut it. what exactly is it that you want?

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 11-03-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

dont forget about the stock lower chain guide..... i dont know what the biggest size rear can fit with stock guide.... something else to think about.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not going with 13, I'm sticking with 14, and I'd like a 46 or 47 rear sprocket. BUt if I'm going to replace the rear sprocket and use a new chain, I might as well replace the countershaft sprocket with a new one since its not good to mix old and new chain / sprocket, especially since I'm beating on 4500 miles as it is.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
lol, Jasonfmx- the new IG. he speaks what he thinks and even though I haven't gotten along with him in the past, I kinda like it. no one else besides myself does that. kudos to jfmx.

cliffsta- I'm confused on what you want to do gearing wise. why replace the stock 14? 13/42 is the best all-around gearing for the bike. going 13/45 does not make a huge difference. I did that on my '06 KLX and couldn't tell any difference from 13/42. if you want dramatic differences in low-end delivery, you'd have to do two things: first of all you'll need to open up the exhaust and airbox, second you'll need to go at least 13/48 for gearing. 13/45 just doesn't cut it. what exactly is it that you want?
I like it.
Good ratio for the local terrain I ride.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
I might as well replace the countershaft sprocket with a new one since its not good to mix old and new chain / sprocket, especially since I'm beating on 4500 miles as it is.

Also a COMPLETE myth. 100% You will never see a true difference between doing that and not doing that.

Think of it like this. Someone who does nothing but be a complete couch potato all of their life and you have another person who is active and exercises but likes to smoke a cigarette once or twice a month. Who is in better health? Its so little and minor you'll never be able to tell a difference nor prove anything. And that means your taking off perfectly good sprockets and chains and putting them on the shelf. And since you'll never mix new with old, all those sprockets/chains will never be used again and your wasting tons of money. Why are you doing this to yourself?

Also, look at this logic. (this is directed to everyone) Everyone is afraid of using a smaller front sprocket because it will wear out their chain right? Well if you keep a 14t front and get a larger back and you have to buy a larger chain to fit it then what the heck did you just do? You bought a chain.....the very thing you've been fearing all along. Only instead of doing waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay down the road you did it right now. So instead of dropping $10-$15 bucks and about 15 minutes of installation labor you spent $100 and about an hour of labor (thats if you know what your doing). If your new to the whole chain cutting and you've never had your rear wheel off before you'll be there several hours. Most likely make an afternoon/evening out of it.
________
ASIAN CHEERLEADER

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:16 AM
1st Gear Member

KLX sprocket threads.....worse than a bunch of Cajuns arguing about trolling motor propellers.

Originally Posted by EMS_0525
dont forget about the stock lower chain guide..... i dont know what the biggest size rear can fit with stock guide.... something else to think about.
I had a 49 rear on mine for a while....it was tight with the lower guard but worked fine, so in my opine that would be the largest you could go without further mods.

14:45 is da best with a light renthal rear.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet
13:45 is da best with a light Renthal rear.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
13:45 is da best with a light Renthal rear.
That's just cause you are down under, slow, with no big bore and pumper.

Stop stealing my smilies...lol...

Old 11-04-2008, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Finger Mullet

KLX sprocket threads.....worse than a bunch of Cajuns arguing about trolling motor propellers.

I had a 49 rear on mine for a while....it was tight with the lower guard but worked fine, so in my opine that would be the largest you could go without further mods.

No no no, oil threads are better.
________
OREGON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Sprocket Upgrade Help