Rear Sprocket Upgrade Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Rear Sprocket Upgrade Help

Okay, will any rear sprocket fit, or do I need to look for one with a correct bolt pattern?

Also, what chain length should I seek?

I'm still tossin' around the idea of the 13T front vs. the 45T rear w/ a new chain.

If I do the latter, I'm just seeking help here. I found a 13T front for about $9, and know this is the cheap alternative, but I'm just wondering if I should just do it right the first time around?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Just get the 13T front.

Everyone is really over exaggerating the whole "its bad for your chain". It's like putting the fear of God into people by saying if you don't go to confession your going to hell, so next thing ya know people are lined up outside the booth.

Truth is, in raw numbers, yeah, a smaller front sprocket is 'rougher' on the chain and sprocket.....technically. Is it going to make a difference that you'll notice? I SERIOUSLY doubt it. You'll do more damage by riding it off road with a 14t than you would on road witha 13t. It is NOT a big deal. And even if your chain did wear out quicker, these things last so damn long how the hell are you going to know? As long as you keep it cleaned, lubed, and adjusted it will last next to forever. You will notice a slight difference in sprocket wear though. That will wear the quickest. But guess what? its the cheapest and easiest thing to replace, so so what?

I wouldn't worry about it, mate.
________
SATIVA STRAINS

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to be a bootyface, but would you or somebody just answer this question? I want a 46-tooth rear sprocket, and RockyMountain doesn't list smaller than a 47-tooth. Likewise, I want to replace my front with another 14T and RM doesn't list bigger than a 13T. (for a KLX, that is). SO, what other bikes' sprockets will fit a KLX other than a KX (since RM isn't listing those sizes for it, either).

Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 AM
1st Gear Member

This is what I use. A mix or Renthal and JT. (13/45 combo for offroad, OE 14/42 for the commute.)

Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
Not to be a bootyface, but would you or somebody just answer this question? I want a 46-tooth rear sprocket, and RockyMountain doesn't list smaller than a 47-tooth. Likewise, I want to replace my front with another 14T and RM doesn't list bigger than a 13T. (for a KLX, that is). SO, what other bikes' sprockets will fit a KLX other than a KX (since RM isn't listing those sizes for it, either).
I did answer his question. It was a two part question. I simply answered the second part about it being worth it or not.
________
EXTREME Q VAPORIZER CHEAP

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

a xr650 front will fit(only certain years which i don't recall) and a kdx200/220 rear will fit(1996 to present). forget about a 46. The difference between that and the 47 is so small that you'll never feel it. Any chain that will be long enough for the 46 will be long enough for the 47.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

While I don't ever do this, I'm agreeing with Jasonfmx. It's like he typed my words. so what if the smaller sprocket wears out your chain quicker which I don't believe that it does, it's just the stock chain. WARNING- anything that has Renthal on it is very expensive. there are alternatives out there for a fraction that are just as good. also, an x-ring chain is better than o-ring. if you want a 45-tooth to fit back there with a 13-tooth up front, you'll need a 108-link chain (stock is 106). I've done that gearing and it's terrible for the street and isn't much better than just the 13-tooth alone. I honestly could not tell a difference. any KX/KDX/KLX rear sprocket will fit your KLX250S.

Last edited by 09KLXowner; 11-03-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
dude, did you just ask that question? didn't you read the boards yesterday? any year XR650L and a Ninja 250R front sprocket will fit your KLX. match them up with either of those two bikes and you're in business. use other sources than just RM. denniskirk.com is the best imo.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I was more referring to the rear sprocket, I'm well aware of the interchangeability of the fronts, but less sure about the rear. When I do this swap in the winter I'm going to just replace the countershaft sprocket with a new 14T and go up in the back.

a xr650 front will fit(only certain years which i don't recall) and a kdx200/220 rear will fit(1996 to present). forget about a 46. The difference between that and the 47 is so small that you'll never feel it. Any chain that will be long enough for the 46 will be long enough for the 47.
Thank you for answering that aspect of the question. I may just go with the 47 then.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09KLXowner
While I don't ever do this, I'm agreeing with Jasonfmx. It's like he typed my words. so what if the smaller sprocket wears out your chain quicker which I don't believe that it does, it's just the stock chain. WARNING- anything that has Renthal on it is very expensive. there are alternatives out there for a fraction that are just as good. also, an x-ring chain is better than o-ring. if you want a 45-tooth to fit back there with a 13-tooth up front, you'll need a 108-link chain (stock is 106). I've done that gearing and it's terrible for the street and isn't much better than just the 13-tooth alone. I honestly could not tell a difference. any KX/KDX/KLX rear sprocket will fit your KLX250S.
I just think everyones making too big of a deal out of that ya know? I just wanted to set the record straight on facts. I can't count how many machins I've owned in....lets just use the past 15 years as a point of reference....and alot of them have been chain drive. And I honestly can't remember the last time I purchased a chain for any of the modern day designed machines. The only chain I ever bought was for my ooooooooooooold classic Yamaha 1978 Yahama 175 Enduro and that things chains were junk because I had to buy the #430 chains I think for it? Its like they were made from wire. But these #520 O-ring chains seem to last next to forever. And I don't think I've owned a machine at a time for more than several years before selling it or trading it in. So even if you double that and keep it for 5-6 years. That puts you at what?...1 chain? What the hell does a chain cost nowadays? It can't be more than a dynojet kit. This is such an inconsequential thing, I just don't want my fellow KLX'rs scared into purchasing and running things they don't really need.

To me its like saying you need to have your turn signal fluid completely full at all times before you leave your garage.
________
Pissing vids

Last edited by JasonFMX; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Sprocket Upgrade Help