Ready to drill the starter jet...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default Ready to drill the starter jet...

Bike is getting harder and harder start with the higher compression of the 351 kit and the cam shaft mod with no ACR removal. Where can I find info on drilling the starter jet?

Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not much help with your question but try a search the info is here with photos.
I would suggest that you slow down on the MODS. Have you got the cam and acr situation all worked out? Do you have a plan on which way to jet while your in there for the drilling?
On that starter jet drill. DON'T over do it. Those bits are so tiny that you may think it's not going to really make a difference. I worked the .018 bit in and out a bit till it was smooth. I wish I would've stopped when it went through or just used a .017. In warm weather it doesn't need to be choked but for a few seconds. It's almost letting in to much fuel. I also found that if I don't ride for a couple of weeks, it's still hard to start. The trick about turning the fuel off and letting it run out of fuel before parking it may sound crazy but it actually works.
Remember that most of the mods are over rated. If you really need more power try a DR or KTM.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Like brawnie says , slow down , you are mixing too many mods at once and getting nowhere .
If you did the cam mod on the exhaust shaft as well , but did not retime the ACR it´s difficult to start because of the ACR not because your jet .
Also , you´re not going to solve old problemms by creatig new ones . Put the engine back the way it was ; solve the old problems : starting , " MUDDY " midrange , oil leacks etc.
Only then you can do another mod , then dial it in .
After that another , dial in ... get the trend ?

Old 06-26-2011, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

It's almost as if it's someone pretending they are doing all these modifications, and just faking the posts! I've never seen anyone do so many things without first making sure "X" modification worked as planned prior to diving into another modification.

If nothing else, you sure are giving yourself more opportunities to learn the in's and out's of this bike in a world-record period of time. There are some basics you're missing in your logic stream, though...I hope you're picking up on the lessons to be learned (for example: Valve cover leak was the obvious solution, it couldn't be from bad rings if it wasn't smoking like a forest fire; basic ACR function; ACR vs starting jet; Pilot (and fuel/air screw) vs needle position vs Main jet, engine modification doesn't alter transmission function, etc).

If it's all true: more power to you! I hope the best for your end result, but, you're making me cringe at times!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackheart58
It's almost as if it's someone pretending they are doing all these modifications, and just faking the posts! I've never seen anyone do so many things without first making sure "X" modification worked as planned prior to diving into another modification.

If nothing else, you sure are giving yourself more opportunities to learn the in's and out's of this bike in a world-record period of time. There are some basics you're missing in your logic stream, though...I hope you're picking up on the lessons to be learned (for example: Valve cover leak was the obvious solution, it couldn't be from bad rings if it wasn't smoking like a forest fire; basic ACR function; ACR vs starting jet; Pilot (and fuel/air screw) vs needle position vs Main jet, engine modification doesn't alter transmission function, etc).

If it's all true: more power to you! I hope the best for your end result, but, you're making me cringe at times!

I like to be efficient and get everything done at once. I didn't want to have to strip everything down and adjust the cams after I installed the 351 kit so I just did it at the same time. I got the oil leak straightened out and found out that my bike is running way too lean with the biggest main jet in the dynojet kit (132) and the needle with the shim 4 notches down with two washers on top. I need to get a bigger main jet still. I'll keep you guys posted. I truthfully am learning a ton. If you would all like to see pictures, let me know and I'll post them since you apparently think I'm making everything up.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Post the picks up.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jhoffy22
...since you apparently think I'm making everything up.
Actually, I said, "It's almost as if....". If I thought you were making it all up, I would have said, "I don't believe you are doing any of this."

I'm not doubting that someone could tackle it all at once. It's just not what most people do... unless they forgot to take their Ritalin for a couple of weeks. Again, more power to you if it's the way you choose to do it. I hope it all turns out great!

Old 06-27-2011, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Jhoffy, if you don't mind me asking,,, how old are you? you have a big pair of ***** doing all this stuff at once and it reminds me of my younger years.
Slow it down and think stuff through, the first answer you get on this board is not always going to be the right one, especialy if someone doesn't know all the work you have done.
As some folks have advised, small steps and address things one at a time logically and you will be successful. BTW, are you happy so far with the results of your effort?

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
Jhoffy, if you don't mind me asking,,, how old are you? you have a big pair of ***** doing all this stuff at once and it reminds me of my younger years.
Slow it down and think stuff through, the first answer you get on this board is not always going to be the right one, especialy if someone doesn't know all the work you have done.
As some folks have advised, small steps and address things one at a time logically and you will be successful. BTW, are you happy so far with the results of your effort?
I'm 20 years old turning 21 in five days. That should explain a lot

So far, I'm ehhhh. There is definitely a very noticeable difference in the bike, but I don't think it's where it should be yet power wise for everything that is done to it.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 AM
1st Gear Member

I like the dude! He goes for it!

Go!

Quick Reply: Ready to drill the starter jet...