Rain Gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Rain Gear

What brand of rain gear are you guys using?? I bought a cheap suit from walmart that worked well for a few rides but after about a 30 minute ride in some pretty hard rain the other day I was completely soaked in the crotch and seat area.
I was looking at motorcyclesuperstore and they had some two piece suits for under $50 that got some decent reviews but I want something I know will keep me completely dry every time.
What have you guys had success with?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Alot of the guys i ride with like the Frogg Toggs.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

if you're commuting, that's one thing. If you're offroad, that may be another.

I got a Vega one piece rain suit about a year ago from Amazon. Suits me fine, and keeps me nice and dry. Might be like wearing a dry cleaning bag off-road, though.

Attached Thumbnails Rain Gear-41shuvhlrel__sl500_aa300_.jpg   Rain Gear-31ausq9-rrl__ss400_.jpg  
Old 04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I ended up buying some inexpensive but quite durable 1st Gear rain gear. I suggest you get separate pants and jacket. You can use the jacket as a warmth jacket when needed and for a rain jacket when needed. The pants only become necessary during a real downpour. Funny thing is that I've been riding a lot of singletrack with the rain jacket during cold weather for well over 2 years now. The jacket is tough enough to stand up to that with the occasional branches slapping it...and that's with body armor underneath it. This jacket is not breathable material. I've owned many quality breathable jackets and such, and they just don't fold up as easily as many of the non-breathable versions IMO. On my big epic rides on trips and such, I always have this 1st Gear jacket folded and rolled up in my Camelback. The pants stay rolled up in my number plate bag. I also think it's easier to get into separate pants and jacket on the side of the trail or road than a full suit...and less messy. I've had both over many years, and I'm sold on the separate items. I also think you'll invariably wear out the jacket first, so you don't have to buy another full suit when that occurs.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I don't wear rain-gear on the KLX, if its wet out I'm just gonna get wet. My Fieldsheer jacket was rain proof 6 years ago, but not anymore...

Old 04-05-2012, 03:06 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
I don't wear rain-gear on the KLX, if its wet out I'm just gonna get wet. My Fieldsheer jacket was rain proof 6 years ago, but not anymore...
deej, I totally believe you when you say you don't wear rain gear. There's no way on earth that I can see you riding in the rain and getting that bike of yours all dirty and nasty...LOL!

Old 04-05-2012, 04:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah I think i'd rather have a two piece for ease of changing in a hurry on the side of the road.

TNC- are you speaking of the Firstgear Rainman Jacket and Pant?
Firstgear Rainman Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I have an old (and I mean 20 years old) jacket I still wear which is 100% waterproof. It is OSI branded. Given the age of the jacket, I don't even know if they're still in business. I used to wear this in full downpours, riding 20+ miles to college 3x a week. It rained a LOT in Rochester, NY, so this garment got a LOT of wear.

The key to it is the material; it is rubberized nylon with a Velcro flap over the zipper. The neck comes up high enough to tuck under the back of my helmet so water runs off the helmet onto the jacket, not down my neck. It came as a set, with pants, complete with stirrups to keep them down. Unfortunately, riding pants need to be VERY long to fit right when seated. These split at the crotch after wearing them a couple times (too short).

I now have the jacket (see above) that I use with a pair of hi-tech fabric pants from LL Bean. Haven't ridden in any strong downpours yet (never rains in UT).

For off-road riding, I don't bring rain gear...

Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007KLX250S
Yeah I think i'd rather have a two piece for ease of changing in a hurry on the side of the road.

TNC- are you speaking of the Firstgear Rainman Jacket and Pant?
Firstgear Rainman Jacket - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore
Yeah, that's the name of mine. It looks the same too..except gray and black.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:44 AM
1st Gear Member

Buy something from a place where it rains a lot. I bought a rain suit from New Zealand and it works fine. Pommie stuff is good too I hear.