quick turn throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
1st Gear Member

I have never used a one. Don't know.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
If you have the stock carb, you can modify it to act like a quick turn throttle. Bend the outter part of the bracket that the end of the "open" cable goes through and drill another hole in the other side to align with the new position.

Ride on
Brewster
So, how much quicker is the opening? Degrees - approximation?

I've wanted to do this for years on the 650. Never was quick enough opening. I looked at a number of quick turn throttles and I didn't believe there was quite enough variation from stock on the 650 to make it work that much quicker. As others have said here - about 1/4 turn or 90 degrees. I'd rather see about 60 degrees, more in tune with what I can do with my wrist. I did a similar thing on my old trials bike going from a standard throttle to a Magura duo pull and the quickest ratio - much better. Have that with the 38 on the SR, but not yet had it going to try it out.

I understand the idea of the push-pull cable set up and wonder just how badly it is needed on a butterfly style carb. Can the carb actually draw hard enough to hold the butterfly open against the spring. Any thoughts out there?

Old 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm finding with a 1/4 turn throttle and the TM 33 carb with the accelerator pump, riding tight technical sections is a bioch. Especially slow rocky uphills, it takes very little twist to pull the front wheel which is not good when your trying to pick a line.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ol guy
I'm finding with a 1/4 turn throttle and the TM 33 carb with the accelerator pump, riding tight technical sections is a bioch. Especially slow rocky uphills, it takes very little twist to pull the front wheel which is not good when your trying to pick a line.
I always wondered about that. I don't think a quick turn would be good for most of the riding I do.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

When you used the crf tube did you lose the return cable?
Do you just have to open the stock housing and the crf tube slips right in?

Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM
1st Gear Member

I do not use the return cable. The only mod required is to slightly open up the hole for the cable end. Otherwise, open it up and drop it in.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

for future reference the 07 crf250 throttle doesn't fit the 98 klx300 housing.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

When I first rode my '06 (bought used) and was riding it home, I found that I had to grab two hand fulls of throttle for normal acceleration. So I immediately ordered a Vortex throttle.

After putting it on, I didn't like the way it fit with the cables, master cylinder, etc. So, I decided not to use it. I put the oem throttle back on.

The cables were way out of adjustment. There was a lot of free play in the "open" cable but it was being masked by the incorrect adjustment of the "close" cable.

After getting the adjustment on both cables right, I measured the throttle rotation. It was 90°, the same as the Vortex.

That makes me wonder if the same situation is affecting others. Of course, some of the posts in this thread pertain to later models. They might have oem throttles that are more than 1/4 turn. I wouldn't know about that.

Ron

Old 12-29-2010, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Ranger - good observation. My '06 is 1/4 turn also and I've been wondering what these quick turns would do for it. Perhaps nothing.

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I wasn't going to say anything but since I couldn't install the crf throttle tube I looked at my stock tube and it's 1/4 turn. Maybe the Vortex and crf are shorter throw than 1/4

Quick Reply: quick turn throttle?