Questions for those that have had there suspension fully done

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:12 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

From what I've seen from reading lots about this topic and regarding many different makes of bikes, no matter what you get and how "good" the bike is stock, it seems to be universally worthwhile to get the suspension valved, tuned, adjusted, by someone that knows what they are doing. That goes for KTM, Husky, BMW, KX, RM, YZ, WR, CR, and on down the line. If you are pushing the KLX, then chances are you will benefit from suspension work, but how much is hard to say. If you are not pushing it, then I'm not so sure it's going to make much of a difference.

I guess my point is that even if you get a more "enduro" type bike, you might be looking at doing the suspension on that one, too. So maybe the thing to do is spend the $500 on the KLX and have it done, vs spending $6K-$8K on a new bike and then spending the $500 to have it done on that one.

Funny you should bring this up ... here's my bike right now, my suspension is at a local guru and he is working it over. I can't wait to get it back.

I had been thinking about doing this for a while, but only recently have I felt that I've been pushing the KTM a bit harder and starting to feel like I could do benefit with the suspension set up more for me. And a buddy just bought the '04 version of my bike and the prior owner had the suspension done and when I test rode it, it felt awesome - very noticeable difference, smoother, more controllable especially over rough stuff that would normally feel harsh and make my teeth rattle, his 4 year old bike was smooth and easy to handle. So after I made sure Santa took care of the wife and kids, he took care of me with new suspenders. Now the hard part is waiting to get it back ... gonna be a couple weeks, unfortunately.

For the shock, I'm getting a pretty standard revalve. For the front, I'm getting something called the "terrain tamer" - he sets up one fork for only compression, and the other fork for only rebound. With each fork dedicated to one function, there's a very large range of adjustability and it can handle a very wide range of terrain without changing adjustments. He says you have to relearn how to ride because the front will now soak up stuff that you wouldn't dare hit before. I'm looking forward to it!

http://www.brucessuspension.com/

If you call up Bruce, he's very chatty and really knows his stuff and used to ride a KLX300 so he knows a good bit about the KLX and could give you some good information. He will probably recommend that you try and get a pair of KX forks off e-bay and start from there, there are more options with that fork when it comes to tuning because it already has rebound adjustment built-in. Certain older model years are bolt-on replacements for the KLX with minor axle work. But regardless, he should be able to help steer you and give some good advice.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I do have shock valving done front and rear. If you plan to keep the KLX and continue to ride it like you mentioned, IMO, you would benefit from a full suspension re-valve service.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 AM
1st Gear Member

best mod i did to the bike...1/4 turn throttle is a close second

Old 01-02-2009, 07:50 AM
1st Gear Member

I have the moto pro fork and rear springs. Haven't installed them yet...Been playing with my new gun too much!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by je2000
I have the moto pro fork and rear springs. Haven't installed them yet...Been playing with my new gun too much!
What gun? Do tell...

Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Heres a really good option to, With rebound and compression
http://planetklx.org/techtips/kx-to-klx-forkswap.html

Old 01-05-2009, 08:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
I am trying to decide if I want to put more money into the bike or look for a new one. For those that have there suspension fully done I have a couple questions.
1. Who did you use?
2. Did you only have the forks done or did you have something done to the shock as well?
3. What did the service run you?
4. How much difference did it really make for the bike?
You can turn your KLX into a very good woods bike with the right suspension combination. I have on my own KLX as follows:

94 KX250 front forks(E-Bay $200)
Race Tech Gold Valves in the shock
Both ends with proper weight springs

Total spent = $600 and I'd do it again in a hearbeat.

I've set up a couple of my costumers bikes with similar combinations, and they have been very happy with the results.

My shop is not that far from you. I'm in Glen Gardner NJ 908-850-1955

Ride

Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Did you shorten the kx forks and use the klx springs like they did on planetklx, or did you just run the kx forks like they were?

You got any good riding down that way? There are a couple of us always looking for something different.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2k1w=no$
Did you shorten the kx forks and use the klx springs like they did on planetklx, or did you just run the kx forks like they were?

You got any good riding down that way? There are a couple of us always looking for something different.
I shortened the KX forks with internal spacers(planet klx) and I'm running klx springs.

There's not much riding going on down here, unless you were to go to the Pine Barrons. In the late spring and summer I'm usually up the Jim Thorpe area riding and exploring new single track.

Ride

Old 01-06-2009, 11:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks

Anyone know what other year kx forks are the same as the 94's?

Quick Reply: Questions for those that have had there suspension fully done