question about poping

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member
Default question about poping

if its poping its from it being too rich? or to lean? I'm getting a decent amount of poping while down shifting, right around from around 6k+ RPM

wondering if its the main or the needle hight. The needle is set at position #2 (from the short, blunt side) it was running with out very much popping before. I went from a 125main with just the stock snorkel and full muzzy, to a 128 the kdx200 snorkel full muzzzy. left the needle alone. Now it seems like it pops more commin down from higher RPMs

I have a full muzzy exhaust too... anyone with a similar setup up? whats your carb jet #'s? thanks

(if i need to buy jets, and someone wants to get rid of some that they have, PM me )

Old 03-09-2008, 11:15 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: question about poping

Try it without the KDX snorkel just an open airbox. Are you using the Kawi/Keihin jets or Dynojet kit? Double check the header and exhaust pipe for any leaks. I've also noticed more popping with higher octane gas!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

The following is what I posted on a previous similar question. As far as your needle goes, that is your mid range and I seem to think the 3rd clip is were I would start on that. It is harder to get the mid range (needle clip position) and upper range or full throttle (main jet) set if you don't have the pilot circuit correct.

A slight amount of decel pop is acceptable. It is from the pilot circuit. The following is from the jetting expert, Eddie Sisneros on Thumpertalk. This has always worked good for me on both my pumper and CVK carbs. I would remove your smog stuff, do all the free mods, get your exhaust on and then work on the jetting.
[/align]
[/align]how to confirm your pilot circuit setting
[/align]
[/align]seems like the most common jetting issue that comes up are pilot circuit related.the following is a sure method to choose the needed changes.

with the bike warm and idling turn the fuel screw in till the idle drops/misses.then go back out till the idle peaks/smooths.

this should happen between 1 and 2.5 turns on a fcr carb and 1 and 3 turns on a cv.

if you end up at less than 1 turn you need a smaller pilot jet.more than 2.5 (or 3 turns on a cv) you need a bigger pilot jet.

choose the appropriate size and retest.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

smog stuff can make it pop too....

Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member

If the bike is running good(no hesitation or bog anywhere) I wouldn't worry about the decel popping. You may never get rid of it no matter how many changes you do. Remember you should be tuning the bike for the best overall performance, if you get it there and it pops on decel so what.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:50 AM
1st Gear Member

nah, it kinda seems slugish off the bottom to mid i think like 4-6k... it just feels diffrent, like its missin something... When its really cold out she runs way better for the first like 20 min of riding, pulls hard like she feels she should. I'm going to buy a new plug tomorrow and put that in with the clip on the 3 position and see what results i get from pullin it back out later

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

If it runs good cold and crappy hot I'm fairly certain that points to a rich condition. My bike would fire up when cold and run good for a while but after 20 minutes or so it wouldn't idle, it would slow down and just die. Turned the fuel screw back in to 2 turns from 2.5 and it seems to have fixed it. Just doesn't start as easy now.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

off topic butt i love the avatar Pie!![:-]

Old 03-11-2008, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

My bike has pronounced popping, will report back in when I have had a play with the pilot and also any air leaks in the pipe will add pops.
Doesnt hurt much and it sure freaks out people when you are going for the inside pass in a tight corner, specially if they dont realise you are there, hey the pass is a gimme after they look back ahaha.
Lee

Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Oh, the other common reason is exhaust valves too tight but it most probably wont be that. Coz so many riders report the same thing. Its funny I rode a friends KLX300 and never noticed it, although they have different lobe on the cam for the decompressor.
One of my XR's does it too. Generally lessens when aircleaner is clean on the XR.
If it is running sweet then dont bother about it.
Lee

Quick Reply: question about poping