put a little too much oil in the base... what should i do

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Glad you got it. Ain't these forums the greatest?

Old 04-15-2009, 06:35 PM
1st Gear Member

you got that right deej, when ever i got a idea, question, or problem i always turn to the guys on the forums... id trust the forums more then id trust my local mechanics or dealers! alot of the reason for that is usually the people on the forums are people just like you and me and arnt out to rip you off like alot of dealers that i have dealt with try to do, so now i do all my work myself and get advice from the forums how can i go rong

Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 PM
1st Gear Member

ok well maby it was too good to be true... i started the bike this mornin and for about 30 seconds or so the was shooting out blue smoke again it was colder today but i dunno...:S any ideas?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

ok well maby it was too good to be true... i started the bike this mornin and for about 30 seconds or so the was shooting out blue smoke again it was colder today but i dunno...:S any ideas?

Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I sure hope overfilling your bike didn't allow the oil to bypass the piston rings.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member

so do i... but now that the oil is at the right level the bike is still doing it at cold start ups if i let the bike sit for 5 hours it wont do it bt if i leave it over night then she will do it... only thing i can figure if valve seals and once they get a bit of heat into them they start sealing again... im hoping that the problem will fix its self as i drive the bike because it was laid up all winter and now i have only cold started it about 5 times and every time i do it does the blue smoke thing warm starts are fine i havnt been able to drive it yet either because the rim is getting reapired so maby and hopefully when i get to driving it again and the weather warms up a bit the this isssue will dissapear but if not im betting my money on oil seals...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Do you mean valve seals? By your desription of what happens you might actually have a problem. If you have a bad valve seal when the bike sits you have the oil that's up in the head seeping down thru that seal onto the valve then when you start the bike that oil get's sucked into the cylinder causing the smoke. I could be way wrong here but it does sort of make sense. How bad is the smoke coming out of the exhaust? Is it really thick and smells like oil? how long does it smoke?

Old 04-17-2009, 03:11 AM
1st Gear Member
Default too much oil?

This is sounding like coincidence. How old is the bike and how many miles are on it?If its taking 3-5 minutes to clear up, that usually indicates lower or oil ring broken or lost its tensile strength.Valve seal issues dissipates rather quickly.Try firing it up and after 30 secs or so work the throttle to heat the valves quicker to burn off oil on the top of the valves.It should clear up after 1 minute max. If it pursists,then its probably the lower ring cuz it takes longer for the heat to make its way to the lower ring to expand it and start sealing.Play with it a few times and if it seams to take 4-5 minutes every time (depending on temp when started),thats bad news.Lower oil ring.Ouch!Good luck.Valve seals are wayyyyyy easier to replace.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Member

i havnt really paid attention to the time it takes to burn off but i wouldnt say any more then 2 mins at the very most usually anywhere fron 30seconds to a minute... it seems to happen if i rev the bike before its warmed up and its deffently burning oil and its thick enough that i cant stay in my 10x30 foot shed untill i open the doors and clear it out... the bike is an 03 i really hope its just the oil seals and not a ring... not that engine work bothers me but i just dont want to have the bike not usable... but so far when started its been around 0*c or about 30*f outdoors, andi wouldnt say the bike has ne more than 5000 miles max i would even go to say it only has about 2500 to 3000 miles but that is off road drivign which is a bit harsher than on road...

Last edited by maineack bob; 04-17-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
1st Gear Member

well i just came in from starting the bike which was unstarted for about 2 days and it as usuall smoked at atart up and it was pretty thick for about a minute then began to clear up and was all gone by about 1:30 or 2:00 mins max... the whole time the choke was left on so that kept the revs up to about 3000 and i gave it a couple good cracks on the throttle as well... and just to note again the temperature is at the freezing point any more thoughts regardless of what it is i want to get it fixed because its not really apealing to start up your bike to go for a ride with a few buddys around and the bike spewing out blue smoke like theres no tomorrow for nearly 2 minutes...

Quick Reply: put a little too much oil in the base... what should i do