Pumper or 292cc, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pumper or 292cc, which one?

If you could only choose one, which would it be and why? My bike already has all the mods, pipe, jet kit, crash protection, suspension work and geared way lower (-1 front/+3 rear), but it is lacking...something.

It could be power or it could be power delivery. My biggest complaint is getting it to just GO NOW. I feel like I am always waiting or planning or keeping the motor spooled up, which is hard to do in tight technical trails.

So, which would you choose and why?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pumper or 292cc, which one?

I'm probably the worst person to attempt to answer your question. Mainly because my answer would be ....... do both. I went with the pumper carb first. I was pleased with what it did. It did quicken the response of the motor considerably. But now I have just finished the 331 upgrade with cams. Don't know yet just how much was added because I haven't had it out yet, but eventually you'll probably do both upgrades.
I'm getting to the point where I can't spend a whole lot of money on the KLX (cause I've already done everything under the sun). But I sure love the bike.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Marc,
I don't see the options you have suggested as mutually exclusive. They both work to complement one another. The pumper will give you the power you have, a bit more quickly. It may up the hp some, but don't expect a whole lot. Increasing displacement however, will give you a good deal more bottom end as well as overall horsepower. The pumper will, as before, allow you quicker access to that power in the form of improved snap from the throttle.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
331, etc.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Its a matter of budget. I have $400 to spend. I can get a 292cc kit or I can get a pumped, but I cannot get both....

Old 01-24-2008, 03:23 PM
1st Gear Member

Well now. That makes sense for sure. Honestly, Marc, if I were in that situation, I'd probably wait a little while and do a 331 upgrade instead. Bill Blue may even be able to fix you up with a sleeve for pretty close to what you have to spend right now. It costs a little more to get a nikosill bore job, but both work very well. You will appreciate the 292, no doubt, but the 331 is just as rideable and yields noticably more power. Do that now, since it's winter and a good time to have the bike down. Later, you can swap the carb out in an afternoon. Give Bill a call at 316 640-3629 and see what he would charge to bore your cylinder. He may even have one he can simply swap for your core and save you some time.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Old 01-24-2008, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I've been speaking with Bill. His 331 kit using my cylinder (bored and sleeved) is $435 IIRC which is a good deal, assuming a cast iron sleeve is not something I should worry about and then there is the situation with jetting. How does the stock carb work with this set up and where would I begin with jetting?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
1st Gear Member

You might want to try the Vortex Throttle as it really wakes up the throttle response. Super cheap to try.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...rtex_throttle/

Old 01-24-2008, 03:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Why? Is this just a 1/4 turn type throttle? If so, doesn't that cause all sorts of issues in the tight technical areas where you need to feather the gas?

Old 01-24-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Id go with displacement. The CVK can be made to work well & the throttle helps tremendously as mentioned. I think the forever turn throttle is more to blame than the carb. Before the recent FI revolution every street bike out there had CV carbs. The CV carb is more of a problem in that over rough terrain the slide can move rather than the actual throttle responce of it. Flame away boys

Old 01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
1st Gear Member

David is right in that the quick turn throttle can give theillusion of better throttle response, but it does require a bit more effort to turn. It also makes the bike less tractable in the tight stuff, as you suggested. It's really a matter of taste on that one. I prefer, especially now that I have power on tap, to have the longer turn throttle which allows a little better management.

I wouldn't sweat the cast iron sleeve. The nikosill has certain technical advantages, butthe industry hasbeen using cast iron sleeves for longer than most of us have been alive. Given the difference in power between a stock 292 and a sleeved 340, the choice is easy for me. If you want a nickosil cylinder later on, (which you probably won't bother with once you have the 340), you can always buy a 300 cylinder, bore and coat it...you know, when your ship comes in. You can also re-bore a cast iron cylinder if it gets run low on oil or otherwise damaged, which cannot be done with nikosil. Give and take... Just relax and go with the best you can afford right now. There's always a way to spend more money, but you're after bang for the buck. Good luck, and enjoy the process.

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma

Quick Reply: Pumper or 292cc, which one?