to pump or not

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: to pump or not

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

ORIGINAL: DirtSurfer

ORIGINAL: tremor38

3. No desire to do 'brain surgery'right away.
Don't you mean 'Brian Surgery'??
I think that was a compliment, right?
YOU GOT IT!!![8D]

Old 03-23-2007, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

If you can only do one right now, my recommendation is to get the big bore, 331cc and dial in your CVK, pull the airbox lid, bump up to a 130 or 132 main and put your N1TC clip on the 3rd or 4th position, make sure you've drilled your vacuum slide port to 7/64ths but I think you've already done that.

Ride and enjoy.

Later, go with the pumper.

Don't get me wrong, I love the pumper carb. And I know there are folks who feel differently, but if I could only do one, and knowing everything I know right now, I'd choose the 331cc first. There's no right or wrong answer, though - I think which one suits you better probably depends on your riding style. I love the low-end grunt the big bore gives. Of course, that low-end grunt really comes alive with the pumper, not that it's bad with the CVK, the CVK works well when dialed in. That's why I say don't exclude the pumper, get the big bore now, but work on the pumper when the opportunity presents itself.

Hey Iowa,
Brian speaks from experience so we should listen. That is the route I am taking, Big bore first and regear for more dual sportability (currently 14/48 and will try 14/45 or 14/44with the 340cc kit), then we'll see if the pumper is going to be necessary. I really don't think I will need it because I am pretty happy with the bike as I currently have it moded. I want the extra grunt and be able to run 65 mph on the highway (it's all two lane around here). Oh, I read somewhere, Planet KLX I think, that the stock CVK on the KLX300 performed better after the big bore due to what they attributed to a slight increase in vacuum pressure which got the slide moving guicker. I plan on testing that theory first.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mmatz

Brian speaks from experience so we should listen.
I appreciate the confidence, but I think it's pretty subjective based on your personal preferences and riding style. I'd hate for someone to take my advice and then be sorry they did. But one thing is for certain, if you want immediate bolt-on results, the 331 will give you that. Rejetting the CVK is pretty easy to accommodate the 331 since it is already dialed in on your current bike, probably just a little tweak here and there will take care of it. But chances are you will need to play with the jetting on the FCR or Mikuni to get it dialed in which can take some effort and hair pulling - but it is well worth it, it's just not as easy as bolting on the new cylinder and piston, IMO.

In either case, which ever way you go, you'll ultimately probably want both. As others have said, there are some that feel they would prefer 300 w/FCR vs 331 w/CVK. But I haven't seen anyone state they'd prefer 250 w/FCR vs 331 w/CVK.

I think this is just one of those cases where you have to apply the information you have available to your own situation, figure cost vs return and all that and in the end make the choice your gut tells you.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

As I said before if I had a 250 I would probably do the big bore first if I could only just to one. But.....from my experience with my 300, the FCR35 was an awesome change. I toyed around with the big bore vs. pumper as well and I am sure glad I did the pumper. It is that much better off road.My CVK was working as good as it getsbut I could not have ridden another season with it. I would have sold my KLX without blinking an eye if the FCR had not worked out so good. You have the cylinder so I think the big bore would be you logical first thing to do. Just get that pumper soon after. You will be happily surprised once it's dialed in.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mmatz

Brian speaks from experience so we should listen.
I think this is just one of those cases where you have to apply the information you have available to your own situation, figure cost vs return and all that and in the end make the choice your gut tells you.
Sounds like good advice ... besides, if you follow Brian's gut, you'll end up buying a 450EXC!!!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:51 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Ha ha, after too many upgrades your bike turns orange.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

... and your bankbalance turns red!

Old 03-23-2007, 11:21 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

yeah, i think i will go 331cc's. i dunno know about the cvk being better than a pumper. i read opposite that someone like a 300 with pumper better than a big bore with cvk. it's all personal preference though. i think my cv is lightning right now, as if i blip the throttle i immediately get a rooster tail if i'm on the power of course. i would really like it if i had trouble keeping the front end down, and i hope the larger bore will help that matter. i would really like a roll-on wheelie in 2nd. wheelieing with the cvk isn't an easy feat as you have to keep the throttle on when shifting, whereas with a pumper you could kind of let off and immediately get back on and not lose your altitude. i think i'll send it to kustom kraft, who you having do yours?

Travis,
Sorry if I was unclear. I did mean to imply that A CVK is better than a pumper. What I read was that the stock CVK when properly jetted with the big bore kit seemed to be a little quicker to respond to the right wrist. For instant wheelies and stump jumper performance a pumper is probably the way to go.I bought a Thumper Racing 340cc kit off of Ebay which I will be installing soon. Then if I still feel the need for more instataneous response, on to the pumper!

Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: YYY.GUY

... and your bank balance turns red!
Touche'