A Prospective New Owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 06:04 PM
1st Gear Member
Default A Prospective New Owner

Hi Everyone!

You all have an excellent forum and seem to also have a lot of advice for each other. Advice is what I'm looking for right now.

I'vereturned toriding for a bit over 3 years nowand mostlyin and on dirt. I'm considering buying a KLX250s. I presently have a DRZ400s and find that it is too heavy for me when I try to lift it out of the dirt. (Sometimes I fall more than once when I'm on some challenging trails!) I don't mind the falling, but my buddies usually have to rescue me with the lifting of the 300# Suzuki. Hence, I don't like to ride by myself. However, I like the highway cruising speed that this DRZ400s bike can do.

I'm wondering what kind of sustained speed thisKLX250s will do? I also like the "fit" of the Kawasaki for my height I'm 6' tall. (The DRZ is a bit too tall to suit me even with the Suzuki Gel seat.)

My riding buddies have the following bikes: (1)KTM 250, (3)Yamaha XT225's, (1)KLX250s, (2)DRZ400e's, and a few 2 stroke Kawasakis & Hondas. Everyone seems to manage more challenging trails than I can manage with my DRZ!

So, what do you experienced KLX250s riders think of my concerns?

Thanks for the advice,

Rod

Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: A Prospective New Owner

I think you need to hit the gym and/or work on your lifting technique.[sm=joke.gif]

All kidding aside, do you think a bike that is 30 pounds lighter and a little less top heavy is going to make the difference between being able to pick up a bike or not? If so then maybe the KLX is the bike for you. I think you will be a little disappointed with the power of the KLX at first but with a few cheap modes the power becomes adequate. With three years worth of experience I would normally recommend something more advanced like a KTM450EXC however, but that is a taller bike, which you don’t seem to like.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Welcome and I see in you notes that one of the persons in your riding group rides a KLX250S, I would ask him to swap bikes for a short hop and see what you think.

My brother-in-law recently purchased a bone stock DRZ400s and has discovered that he doesn't like it nearly as well as my KLX for several reasons but comfort and handling (throwability) being his primary dislikes.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks to you both, ZX1100F & TypeSH for your fast response to my inquiry. I'm in Oregon at the moment and my friend with the KLX250s is in Michigan right now. He won't be joining us for our anual dirt ride in Arizona 'til next year. I'm about a mile from a Kawasaki/Honda dealer and the salesman tells me that I'll probably not like the relatively slow speed that the KLX is capable of on the highway. With respect to the 30# less weight, the Kawaski seems to have better "purchase points" to grab on to for lifting. The dealer seems to feel that I'd be disappointed with the KLX... Looks like the bike for me though. It's seems similar to my former XT225 Yamaha.

All advice will be considered,

... and thanks,

Rod

Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear Member

in stock form u may be disappointed.. but if ur willing to put in a little money/time this bike is a woods rocket..... i ride with my buddy who has a drz400.. and while it does have more power, that power coupled with the xtra weight and height make it a handful in tighter/rougher terrain while the nimble klx skates right through all of it. the only thing that this bike fails completely at in my opinion is highway use... but lets face it... if you purchased a 250 for highway use.. u deserve to be disappointed. lol

main mods to wake this bike up are basically: pipe/remove airbox lid and install hi flow filter/rejet/regear (lower gearing). roughly 500-600 dollars depending on ur parts choices. im going on 2 yrs now with mine and close to 4000 miles. when i first bought it i was sorely disappointed as it had 0 power in stock form with all the factory exhaust restrictions.. but now once decently mod'd its a blast!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Welcome Rod, since I am probably the senior member with the KLX I thought I would chime in here. I bought mine back in November of 05. It had been nearly 25 years since I had a two wheeled woods machine and I have to say don't let anyone tell you that you will be disappointed with the KLX. A few mods and you will be hanging on to the bars with all you got. Like Dave said, you can try the one your friend has. What mods has he done to his bike? Gear and exhaust changes and jetting and you will have a true Dual Sport bike that will not disappoint you....I promise. I have 6300 miles and counting. I have the 13-45 sprockets and it absolutely rips it up, and I can still do 60 down the road without feeling like the bike is revving too high. I'm 6-1 and pushing 260 and it still throws me around. I am so glad I ended up with this bike. No regrets here.[sm=partyparty.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 09-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh hey Rod, I forgot to tell you that my wife has the 2006 XT 225 and while its OK to ride, I'm too tall for it, my knees start to hurt and if I stand up to ride I'm hunched over like a hermit. Here is a picture, sort of a side by side. Hey if you ever make it up to my neck of the woods I would be glad to take you out and try both bikes and then for sure you could see that the KLX is the bike for you.

Name:  100_5361.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  162.1 KB

Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Another thing is that if you are not happy with the DRZ and want to down size but stay street legal then your options are somewhat limited.
I have stock sprockets and routinely take 300+ mile road trips on rural highways at speeds up to about 75 MPH for extended periods and neither me or the bike are any worse for the wear when we arrive.
I do this for the fun of it, my buddies think that I'm nuts and I own a new Silverado truck so it isn't out necessity but once you make a trip like this on this bike it gets into your blood somehow.
Biggest downside to this type of trip is when a semi truck passes the opposite direction which you learn to deal with by tucking your head down tight and getting low just prior to the moment of impact.

I also take the Interstates (I-15 and I-80) on occasion, the bike can deal with these speeds but you are at its limit and it feels like it.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 002197rp

I'm about a mile from a Kawasaki/Honda dealer and the salesman tells me that I'll probably not like the relatively slow speed that the KLX is capable of on the highway. The dealer seems to feel that I'd be disappointed with the KLX...
All advice will be considered,

... and thanks,

Rod
I have found that dealers (salesmen) are STUPID! Every time that I have went in to buy a bike, I have pretty much decided before I go in what it is that I want. I know my reasons and that should be good enough. But they have always tried to talk me into larger or different bikes. (usually what they have the most of) When I bought my KLX they tried to talk me into a DRZ. When I bought my wifes TW200 they tried to talk me into a CRF230. With the KX250 their idea was a RMZ.
So don't listen to your salesman, listen to your good sense!
For me the KLX is very easy to control and "throw around" on the trails. That is exactly what I was after. I really wanted a 250 that handled like a 125. The KLX pretty much does that!
You really need to ride your other options and then decide.
Good luck! And we're looking forward to having you in the "family"

Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Heres my 2 cents. I dont think the 30 pound difference would make that much of a difference of you being able to pick up your bike or not, but that could just be me. Having never rode a DRZ I wouldnt know what its like only that I'm envious of its power. Myself I do not like riding the KLX at highway speeds, as I can only really get it up to 120km/h (i thnk thats around 70 miles) before I feel like I'm floating around on the road.

However being probably one of the biggest, if not the biggest in this forum, I am quite content with the bike for now. I've done up all the mods and am just starting to be able to lift the front tire. I dont think I'll ever be able to cat walk this thing (unless I lost like 50 pounds ), but I have been put in my place by the bike none the less with its speeds. I've had others ride it who ride the 2 strokes and such, and say aside from the lack of power (compared to a 2 stroke its nothing) its a VERY nice bike to ride.

But all the reading and opinions mean nothing until you try one out on your own. Just remember that bone stock form it sucks, but once you get into the mods it is a great bike.

Plus you could always get a big bore kit for it if you get tired of the stock displacement.

Cheers!

Quick Reply: A Prospective New Owner