Proper presentations and questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Proper presentations and questions

Hi guys,

* Warning, long post ahead.

I realised today that I've been visiting this forum for the past month and even asked a few questions without properly presenting myself as I should have done in the first place.

I'm a 35 years old guy from northern Quebec Canada (that's right, a frenchie). I work for a telephone company, travel a bit with my gf (once or twice a year) to southern countries and I am brand new to the biking world.

I used to own a Kawasaki KVF 700 (great four-wheeler) wich I sold this year due to a lack of use. I rode a motorcycle a few times when in my teens but never after that.

After reading a lot, I decided to buy a brand new KLX 250S because I think it corresponds to my "riding style". Have to admit that used bikes for sale are not too common in my area and my brother-in-law being a Kawi dealer kinda helped me decide.

Since I know what kind of riding I like (read mostly trails and "aggressive"), I already bought and received a Utah skidplate, Pro-Taper handles and Powermadd handguards. My bro-in-law's mechanic (a former moto-cross racer) told me to ride the bike stock for a while before making any mods to it. Kinda makes sense.

Here are my questions:

- I already ordered a 13t sprocket... Should I install it as soon as I can or wait for a while? (bare in mind that I'd much rather have better torque at low speed than a faster bike)
-How long should I wait before doing the free mods that are so often talked about in this section? (carb breather T-mod, drilled muffler etc)
- Say I have a few (2-3) hundred dollars left for power enhancement this year, what should I do/buy?

Thanks a lot for everything, I've visited multiple forums and this one is by far the best!

Marco

Old 08-05-2009, 03:12 AM
1st Gear Member

If the terrain where you live has hills, then fit the 13T sprocket now. It will help ++ on the descents, helping you take a gentler pace and prevent stalling. Put the money in a jar and use it for HD tubes, a Talon rim lock for the rear, and better tyres when the stock ones wear or you reach their limits. Carb' breather mod only if you plan to cross any substantial bits of water. (Your choice as it's a $2 mod and will fill an hour in the evening when you have nothing to do.) Twin Air filter (or similar) and a Dynojet kit (KLX300R kit not KLX250S kit) will give an improvement (change from $100.)

Muffler is the only way to really improve the breathing , bastardize the OE one or shell out $300 for something lighter and "bling bling." (Same result in the end except for the weight saving.)

Have some fun

Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM
1st Gear Member

My opinion would be to ride it until you are sure of yourself on the bike, then mod it as you see fit.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Marco, welcome to the forums, and thanks for the introduction....although really in the wrong section.

Jetting, a pipe and more air in the intake will wake this bike right up. As far as the 13 tooth, put that one on since you can still use the stock chain and it gives you a glimpse into the gearing power potential. Personally I am like you, I want low end more than top end. I have the 13-45 combination, and in my opinion is the perfect balance between lots of power and still being able to do 60 mph down the highway.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Put the 13t on it as soon as it arrives. I did, following advice on this forum, and it's been awesome.

Much happier with the bike now, all around good improvement.