Problem Fitting UFO Fork Guards

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 03:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Here's an update:

I got the KX '94-'95 UFO Fork guards and they went on just fine. I had to drill a mounting hole on the outside of each guard but that was no problem. There's an extra mount tab on the outside that I could trim off but I left them on. The left side is attached with three screws, the right side with two. I riveted the speedo guide to the upper slider guide on the right side. At first I used backing washers behind those rivets but that interfered with the the lower guard sliding up through the guide slot. They slid through okay but with a loud "click" - annoying and the guard would have been worn out over time. So I riveted directly into the nylon. The guide is pretty thick and the attachment seems pretty solid. I kinda sticks out a bit but c'est le vie. The guards slide through fine.

And Cousin Larry - I'll sell you those other guards that I'm not using. I really don't need them. Send me a PM if you'd like.

This is all probably more words than necessary but it's Sunday morning, raining, 48 F. outside (that's 9 degrees C), and I'm drinking coffee.

Oh yeah, (sorta fuzzy) pictures:

Old 08-05-2020, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Guido
I ordered some UFO fork guards to replace the stock one that I busted in a foray through some aspen trees. Based on info on this forum I ordered ones that fit a KX 125/250 with the slider. From the posts I read it sounded like at most I'd have to drill a new mounting hole but now I'm wondering how the devil to mount them, specifically the left fork. They don't appear to work at all with the brake line. Can't go under it, can't go over it. Am I missing something? Did I get the wrong model? I'd appreciate some advice. And mine's an '07. Thanks.
I used 2018 KX450 green Acerbs fork guards they don't need the slider part, and they wrap around more, than the stock 2018 KLX250 guards.

You drill 2 - 1/8" holes for the speedo cable mount, and one hole at the bottom, for the speedo cable keeper.

Last edited by Peter Leif Lindvall; 08-05-2020 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Guido
Here's the problem. The bottom of the guard doesn't fit under the brake line juncture, forcing the brake line to bend out. Not good:

Plus it leaves the brake line exposed. So I wouldn't call this '04-'06 UFO fork guard a viable aftermarket option for this bike, unless someone has a creative fix for this issue.
That boss with the 2 holes on the left guard is for a bracket, that holds the brake hose to the guard.

Here it is:
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/nGoAA...dod/s-l300.jpg