Probably the last ride before winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Probably the last ride before winter

Well, One of the new guys on Adv riders posted up, looking for someone to ride with at a gentlemans ( ) pace. He is new to getting back on the dirt, so I can relate, and decided to have another ride out there
Pachaug State Park is a fun loop to ride, but you have to know the trail pretty good, or its easy to get screwed up. And ya gotta be careful when you do, the hikers, and mountain bikers don't like sharing, but the worse are the horseback riders, there have no problem being a$$heads. After all, there machines dont cause as much erosion<in there mind>, so there better then us. ( personally I am sick of riding around all the horse$hit in the roads, but i guess thats MY problem, right) However, I digress.

Thought I would give the hitch-hauler a try, I picked it up at the season ending swap meet. Shoulda saved the 60 bucks, these things blow actually, more shakes then me. And if it werent for the shakes, I'd never get any exercise.

We set out a found that the path had been altered a bit. There had been to many 4 wheelers riding there, and the property owner got sick of it and blocked off part of it. Figures
But, we turned it into a mixed surface ride, and made our way around, and hooked up on a bit different section further south.

Its good riding in here, we ran some forest roads, then got off into a good run of single track.

Yea, thats the trail

A little farther along, my new riding buddy looked at it like WTF ??

This is the trail we just came down

GPS looking like it knows better then me?

Um, yea?

Its some bony terrain, riding up a steep rocky hill,with lots of loose little boulders, and a good mix of slippery leaves, and then into serious rock gardens, you have to concentrate but good to keep momentum up, and the collision avoidance radar must be activated at all times. Its fun, even for the newbies!

Yea, thats the trail, see the red arrow above my bike, pointing right into it?

We decided there were no go arounds, just lottsa mud and deep water.

Yea, no time to be a hero (its nice out, but only about 45-48 degrees, and once you get swamped in there( i think everyone does at least once), there are usually a few other issues beside shivering<which I dont do well>)
Time to ***** out and head back by way of the forest roads again.

And just to remember, damn, I get damn hungry and the little town general store makes a damn good damn sammich, Damn !!

Might be the last ride of the year, its been unseasonably warm recently, so who knows. But no worries for me, I have one of the sleds in the garage, waiting to get its turn. . . . .

Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Nice Pic's,
Looks Like You Had A Good Time
Thx For Sharing

Old 11-30-2009, 03:35 AM
1st Gear Member

is that a klr250, sure looks like it. great ride report, dude, but hate seeing bikes put away for winter. thank god i live in so cal.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Great report, love the pics, and I have that same GPS on my bike. Its been a little rough out here in Western Washington, something like 3 solid weeks of rain, and in one stretch we got 11 inches in 4 days. I went to the post office on the bike the other day, first time I rode in almost that whole 3 weeks. That was the longest time off the bike....it was brutal!!!

Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by punkenduro09
is that a klr250, sure looks like it. great ride report, dude, but hate seeing bikes put away for winter. thank god i live in so cal.
It was a KLR 250. I think he said a 2001. Clean bike, only had 1400 miles on it. Bone stock, even the original tires on it. I told him to buy some safety gear, then worry about farkels for it.
He was liking the KLX though, might be one in his future.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:07 AM
1st Gear Member

I've seen that waterhole eat 4 bikes at once a couple years ago. There's a submerged rock about half way across that if you hit it wrong will just wreck your day.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:15 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I hate moss rock gardens at any speed! lol Nice pics

Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fourty2ri
Thought I would give the hitch-hauler a try, I picked it up at the season ending swap meet. Shoulda saved the 60 bucks, these things blow actually, more shakes then me. And if it werent for the shakes, I'd never get any exercise.
Doesnt sound like that hitch hauler you got came with an anti tilt bracket. With mine on I can't move my hitch hauler/bike with out moving my truck, it's solid. The anti tilt thing is a bracket that draws the hitch tube down tight to the bottom of the receiver. There are 3 bolts that screw in against the bottom of the receiver to draw the hitch down tight.
Well..... here I found this, you can buy one and they have a video showing how to put it on. $25 shipped
Always good to get one last ride in. Thanks for the pics. Hope you didn't scare the guy on the KLR off with those trails. LOL
Dan
Here VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
http://www.discountramps.com/anti-ti...ing-device.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8vIY...layer_embedded

Last edited by dan888; 12-01-2009 at 02:18 AM.