Preload adjustment question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

My bike still sits pretty high. I'm 6-1 and I have the suspension cranked all the way up, that's the way I like it. I don't want to look like I'm riding a moped...ok it still looks small under me but then again so does my ST 1300...YIKES Deej needs to go on a diet!

Singing "fat guy on a little bike"

Old 03-09-2012, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

wow that's an old thread. In the end we did loosen off the spring and the shock worked adequately.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:01 PM
1st Gear Member

cheap screwdriver (top of the handle will get little messed up)...small hammer....tap tap tap...easy....you can see my before (stock mark) and after below....i tried to do the adjustments myself watching a youtube videos and using zip ties on the forks...i gave up and took it in to a professional shop in the end....made a HUGE difference to how it rides....

Originally Posted by ol'klx-er
Careful use of a screwdriver or punch and a hammer works (careful to let nothing contact threads). The tool you linked to may not work, I don't think there is enough room for it to hook and then move the ring. Put some marks (with a felt marker) on the adjuster ring, the lock ring and the shock body to keep track of adjustments.

Last edited by ahnh666; 03-09-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:06 PM
1st Gear Member

had mine lifted little over an inch...and, it still looks pretty small on me...i'm 5'10"...still a fun lil' machine and carves along the twisties well...heck..i'm usually passing a lot of the bigger bikes these days...

Originally Posted by deej
My bike still sits pretty high. I'm 6-1 and I have the suspension cranked all the way up, that's the way I like it. I don't want to look like I'm riding a moped...ok it still looks small under me but then again so does my ST 1300...YIKES Deej needs to go on a diet!

Singing "fat guy on a little bike"

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Shock Adjust

When you adjust the pre-load on the shock be aware that the lugs on the adjusting and lock nut like to bind up on the hose clamp between the carb and air box. The hose clamp on mine was working great as a lock ring. I had to remove the hose clamp in order to adjust the shock nuts.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 PM
1st Gear Member

yes...but, i don't don't how it's done....when i went in to get "fitted"...they were hammering the rear shock...and, adjusting little screws around the front fork...and, than adjusting stuff in the rear shock....

Originally Posted by gravel eddie
Are there adjustments to the front forks? (besides changing the springs) and if so how is it done?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Are there adjustments to the front forks? (besides changing the springs) and if so how is it done?
change springs

installing spacers in forks can compress the springs, like the rear shock spring adjustment.

the screws are for adjusting compression rate. There should be something on your owners manual on compression rate adjustment, if not, lots around here. They turn in "clicks" and I believe stop at all the way in, but won't stop on the way out. I haven't played with these enough to give good advice.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:33 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Uhhhh there is no air canister. That's an adjustable shock.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

There is a air canister on the rear shock, how much air pressure should be in there?
That's charged with high pressure nitrogen. If it's lost its charge you'll need to take it to a shop with the right equipment to recharge it.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:27 AM
1st Gear Member

It's a piggy back shock that increases the shock volume, makes it easier for the shock to control the spring.

Quick Reply: Preload adjustment question.