Powdercoating front forks????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Question Powdercoating front forks????

I dont know, can it be done???

i was just lookin on my bike at what might look cool powdercoated black and thought of them....

obviously just the top portion of them, but idk, has anyone done it before?
if so, pics would be nice!!!

Old 01-15-2011, 03:14 AM
1st Gear Member

big maybe, and it would probably be a total pain to take them part and put them back together. there is the kashema (sp?) coating the kawi is now putting on the kx forks for less sticksion, but its pretty expensive to do. but i agree, it would be bad a$$.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

black spray paint.

Or maybe some kind of Duracoat type finish used in the firearms industry. Would be alot cheaper me thinks.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:46 PM
1st Gear Member

I've seen some slip on CF tubes or stick on thick black vinyl. It would be easy, reversible and cheaper.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, paint or vinyl coverings is probably the way to go. Powdercoating will add additional weight compared to just paint.

Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Most commonly aluminum in this use is annodized and that can readily be done. No idea the cost, but it is the best way.

But if you paint or powdercoat you need to mask the clamping area or clean off any paint/coating since it can not go significantly oversize with powder coat and paint will scuff up the instant you try to put the forks back in the clamps.

If you ever want to trick out the lower slider tubes it is done with Titanium Nitride (TiN) or Titanium Aluminum Nitride (TiAlN) coating, which is used in cutting tools to give better harder cutting surfaces and eliminate some "stickiness" on the surfaces. Really trick and done already on some sportbikes and other high performance bikes.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I agree on the anodizing being really beneficial for durability and looks great.

http://www.le-suspension.com/services/forks.html

Old 01-16-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

The easiest way is to use vinyl. We used it for a grille and it works great and is very durable. Also alot easier than painting. Just make sure you dont skimp and buy cheap vinyl.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Not sure but the bakeing part of powdercoating may change the heat treatment of the forks. I know you cant powder coat scuba bottles for that reason.

The GF's bike came with cool carbonfiber looking vinyl stickers. I think you could get them from Wheeling Cycle Supply.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Well, first off, I really like the idea of vinyl, possibly even a clear sort of candy apple thing if that is available.

Second, any fork legs or rims you've ever seen that aren't raw aluminum finish are annodized, which is a simple electro-chemical process that won't really affect the metalurgy of the aluminum below the surface and can possibly even contribute to hardness depending on the kind of annodizing.

But... I'd do the vinyl stuff. That way if I didn't like it I could peel it off.

One other thought - ever see that transparent metal spray paint they show on hot rod shows? That would look really cool too.

Quick Reply: Powdercoating front forks????