Posted Jetting is way off

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Posted Jetting is way off

I'm running the Full Muzzy and Dynojet 132 and 40 with the lid removed, not sure about the turns or the clip position I think its on 3 and 2 and 3/4 turns anyway my bike runs perfect, and I'm at sea level and ride to 2500, above 3500 it starts to loose a little power but I don't care, I don't go that high very often and am usually back down the other side right away anyway. I do get a small amount of decel pop but its so minimal that I don't think its an issue.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:52 PM

After quite a bit of experimenting, I think I have mine pretty dialed in.
130 Keihn main
N1TC needle clip in middle (3rd) position
KDX snorkel
40 pilot jet
Screw 2 turns out
Full Muzzy

I tried a 132, but it was kinda bogging. I took off the airbox, which helped with the 132 but I really don't want to run with no lid.
So, I went back one size to 130. Tried dropping to 4th position, no good back to middle. Seems perfect, plug is slightly
brown with this setup. Pulls great up to 9500 or thereabouts.

For me anyway, the 128 was just too lean.

The ONLY problem is that my idle is a little erratic (kinda wonders around between 1400 and 1700)
I can only assume that maybe, just maybe I should drop back to the 35 pilot jet?
Does this sound right to you guys?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

get on ebay for a new slide since you butchered yours by cutting it....
The "spring" mod involves shortening the spring that sits on top of the slide... I did that mod too, and I'm happy with it.
It does not in any way damage the slide itself. It's like a 50 cent wire spring that you could probably find in any hardware store.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 AM

ok here's an update. I replaced the spring and turned the fuel mixture screw to 1 3/4 turns. I ran the bike wide open and pulled the plug and it was slightly tinged white. I ran bike at mid throttle and pulled the plug and the result was the same. I ran bike at very low rpms and the plug had some black on it. I guess I will try turning that screw to 1 1/2 turns and if that doesn't work I will put the stock 35 back in. I have also installed the uni air filter. I am thinking about removing the screen mesh from air intake box.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 AM

oh I forgot to mention that I'm using keihin jets.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 AM

I am running a 145 with no lid on the airbox. 2.5 turns on the fuel screw, enlarged hole in slide, needle raised 1.25 mm with washers and 1" cut off the slide spring. I Have a big gun exhaust without the quiet core. I have no running issues. Plug looks fine. I am at sea level. Three experienced dirt riders ran it and said dont touch anything its running good. I had started out with a 150 keihin jet but i could make it bog if i wasn't smooth on the throttle at low rpm's.
Now there are good carb jetting guides out there all it takes is time, lots o time to jet and re jet until good. Nobody has mentioned float level but if you bend something ever so slightly when dissasembling you might run into problems specially at idle. Good luck do some research and do what works for you and your riding style. Most mods i picked up from the forum, the jetting i did because the dealer did not have the smaller jets and i wanted to ride with the full pipe, so in with the 150 and then 145. If I were running with the lid i might go smaller on m/j as restricting the airbox will richen the mixture. Needless to say I love my Kawi!! Thanks to everyone for all the mod tips.

Old 02-28-2007, 08:36 AM

Ok final update. She's dialed in now, it took one of those T handle pilot screws to get the right amount of turns. I am at 1.25 turns on the 40 pilot jet. airbox lid removed and a 132 oem main. N1TC needle is in slot 2. Bike idles consisently now at 1300 rpms and pulls all the way to redline. Nice smooth power. I went back to the cut spring and only diffence was a bit better throttle response. Thanks for all the advice and I hope this post will help others. Time to ride, let the good times roll.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM
1st Gear Member

Glad you got'er dialed-in.

However, to come-outand say thay postedjetting is 'way-off'can be misleading because you have to take into account whether the guy who posted it was running with just the snorkel removed, high flow snorkel installed or entire air box lid removed. Also, there are people like Jelly fish who are running without a quiet core AND have the air lid removed, so the jetting will vary quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Posted Jetting is way off