Posted Jetting is way off

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Default Posted Jetting is way off

Ok guys

I did all the mods posted here. N1TC needle on slot 2 from the top, 125 main jet, 35 pilot jet screw 2.5 turns out, slide drilled 7/64ths, spring cut 1inch shorter, smog crap removed, crankcase breather drilled to 3/8", air box lid removed, big gun evo x complete system. Bike runs like a whole different bike however I pulled the plug and it was white on the tip. I changed jet to 132 and ran bike real hard and pulled plug again and it had just a little tinge of white. I think I need a larger jet. Big gun recommends a 145 main jet. Why is this forum saying we need a 125 main when this is not rich enough unless you guys are at higher elevations. I am at sea level. What do you guys think I should go to for a main jet or should I move needle to slot 3? Bike idles great, starts good when cold, no decel popping, has tons power now and pulls right to red line.

Thanks in advance

Ray

Old 09-03-2006, 02:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Posted Jetting is way off

If you removed the air box lid which most people don't do I'm sure you do need a 132 main I have a Big Gun and the hi flow snorkel but still have the lid on and I have a 124 main ,35 piolet , 2.5 turns on the screw and the dynojet needle on 4th from the top but this needle is different from what your running. All the setting you see are just starters.... If I followed the dynjet instructions my bike would run like crap. If it runs fine with the 132 then thats the setup for you but if you run the lid without the snorkel it would be to fat then I cannot tell you about the spring I would never cut the spring down that is why you drill the hole in the slide I have found that as the spring gets used more you will have problems with the bike not going to and idle fast enough I say this because I have done this with other CV carbs and it never worked in the long run . As a matter of fact I worked on many bikes in the 70's and 80's that came with this type carb and most of the time we had to stretch the springs because they become to weak

Old 09-03-2006, 03:40 AM

thanks for the quick reply,

I am not too worried about the spring as they are cheap and can be easily replaced. Throttle response is much better with slide drilled and spring cut. I wonder why Big gun recommends a 145 main jet on their site. I guess I will try the 3rd slot on the needle. I can tell you that with a 125 main jet and cover off its way to lean. The 132 is better but I am wondering if I should go up to a 145.

Old 09-03-2006, 03:53 AM
1st Gear Member

The Dyno Jet kit was for a KLX300 and its a stage 2 kit they recomended with after market exhuast and air box lid removed useing a 128 main so I can't tell you whay they said 145 but that is a real big jump I would set it where it feels good to you and if it pulls good and no pops then I would leave it be. Moving your clip might give you a little smoother power can't hurt to try mine is on the 4th with 124 main but as I said the needle I used is much thinner I think than the one your useing

Old 09-03-2006, 05:49 AM

I'm running 128 main with Big gun and airbox lid on with kdx snorkel, 3rd groove down, stock pilot 2.5 turns out. I live at sea level pretty much and mines just about perfect. Plug looks good with just a hint of popping on decel. I've heard from jerry over on Thumper Talk that he likes a little popping and he is a jetting expert. If anything, put the lid back on and see if it gets better. My 2 cents. Good Luck! keith

Old 09-05-2006, 04:53 AM

Ok I moved the clip to slot 3 and things seem better. No white on plug just a tan color now, however I get a little popping on decel. As for the spring cut read here https://www.kawasakiforums.com/searc...h&timefilter=0 Im going to look at a 40 jet or should I turn screw in a quarter turn?

I agree 145 is too big. Big Gun must be talking about dynojet kit.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:31 PM

Are you talking Keihin jets sizes or Dynojet sizes? There is a difference!

I don't have all the differences, but you can see from this:

KEIHIN
140=.506
142=.540
145=.543
148=.578
152=.604

DYNAJET
136=.481
140=.516
144=.555
150=.590

Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 PM

Update

N1TC needle on slot 2 from the top, 132 main jet, 40 pilot jet screw 1.5 turns out, slide drilled 7/64ths, smog crap removed, crankcase breather drilled to 3/8", air box lid removed, big gun evo x complete system. I pulled the plug after letting the bike idle for 10 minutes = slightly fouled black, Ran big at wide open and hit kill switch = tan color on plug. Do I need to turn pilot jet in some or out to lean idle circuit.

Ray

Old 09-18-2006, 12:43 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yzkiley

Update

N1TC needle on slot 2 from the top, 132 main jet, 40 pilot jet screw 1.5 turns out, slide drilled 7/64ths, smog crap removed, crankcase breather drilled to 3/8", air box lid removed, big gun evo x complete system. I pulled the plug after letting the bike idle for 10 minutes = slightly fouled black, Ran big at wide open and hit kill switch = tan color on plug. Do I need to turn pilot jet in some or out to lean idle circuit.

Ray
I'd go back to the stock pilot. I feel the 40 is too fat.

Quick Reply: Posted Jetting is way off