The post to end all hard start posts

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 12:41 AM
Default RE: The post to end all hard start posts

Hi folks...my first post on this forum....and it has to do with this little green machine and starting in cold weather. First of all I ride a 1200GSA most of the time and have been riding for about 22 years but about 4 months ago I decided I wanted something in addition to play in the dirt with. I started lurking on this site and was impressed by what you guys had to say about the KLX 250.. Long story short I got a 2007 and it is fantastic....except of course for start ups after it's been sitting for a couple days in the cold garage and I almost kill the battery every time...not happy.. After reading Deej's rules yesterday, I went out, drained the carb...turned on the petcock and started her up...(took a minute or so but waaaay better than usual...then shut off the petcock and let her die. Today I went out, turned the fuel on, waited 15 seconds or so, choke out, hit start...whooopee!!! She started in a matter of seconds. Fantastic thx Deej. Now I can start to farkel theKermit.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beast rider

Hi folks...my first post on this forum....and it has to do with this little green machine and starting in cold weather. First of all I ride a 1200GSA most of the time and have been riding for about 22 years but about 4 months ago I decided I wanted something in addition to play in the dirt with. I started lurking on this site and was impressed by what you guys had to say about the KLX 250.. Long story short I got a 2007 and it is fantastic....except of course for start ups after it's been sitting for a couple days in the cold garage and I almost kill the battery every time...not happy.. After reading Deej's rules yesterday, I went out, drained the carb...turned on the petcock and started her up...(took a minute or so but waaaay better than usual...then shut off the petcock and let her die. Today I went out, turned the fuel on, waited 15 seconds or so, choke out, hit start...whooopee!!! She started in a matter of seconds. Fantastic thx Deej. Now I can start to farkel theKermit.
Hey man welcome to the site, I got your PM and its funny you should mention this because I rode all last week to work, then on Friday I parked the bike and forgot to run the gas out, I just realized today after I got home that I had left the gas on, and so I decided to try and start the machine up, well after a minute of cranking I gave up. It proves my point once again. So off I go to drain the carb bowl, but its a lot easier to shut off the gas and run some out before you park it. If I ride everyday I don't have to do this procedure, but its been 4 days and well the gas changed in that short time. Oh well I'm glad it didn't start other wise I would have to lie about my procedure and well I don't lie so there you go. Again Welcome beast rider. Tell us about yourself, where do you live what do you do,.....you know the routine.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Hey this is not limited to bigger bikes. My sons KDX50 is a beotch to kick start if I do not have him run it out of fuel before leaving it. I have to kick the hell out of it to get it started, if I run it dry, two kicks and it is running.