Poor performance of EFI model

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JRock420
Welcome to KF,, Yet the Yammi, "MIGHT" deffenitly out perform the KLX but it was like 1 G more than the KLX, so for the money,, Im very Happy with the KLX, Dont get me wrong,, If I was able to spend the extra dough I probably would have bought a DRZ or the Yammi WR250. I looked at all Three models and Liked the Yammi more, but the KLX looked better but for the money, I am very satisfied and besides, the KLX can be pretty much the same bike with the extra money anyway so it kinda equals out
You pretty much got it spot on. I guess the WR is out on it's own - hence Yamaha coining a new category for it - 'Super Trail'.
Probably the only 'fair' comparison is KLX vs DR/XT and Cr230. Although there are obvious differences across the board with those 3 as well.
I guess the main point is that we are obviously happy with our KLX's, otherwise we'd all be on the Yammy forum comparing notes on the WR??!!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffsta
You make several very good points that I completely agree with. I'll try and go in order.

The modability of the KLX can very easily (with bolt ons + jetting) can bring the performance very close to that of the WR in the raw power numbers department. If you're looking for numbers (which is dumb) its a wash. The $1000 saved by going with the KLX can immediately be dumped into exhaust, jetting, and gearing with change left over.

Also, the power range on the WR. IDK, the way I ride isn't *****-to-the-wall, 30 mph between every tree. I like the grunty nature of the KLX with the ability to run it up higher and spin. I would worry that riding the WR would require far too much speed to be in the fun power. I think, though, that issue is more personal preference than anything, depending on what type of trails you ride.

As for your first statement, which was probably directed at me, the whole point of this thread (and many others) is to compare the bikes. Its a dumb comparison IMHO, but that's what people ask, so I answer that question with my .02 worth. We have no choice but to compare them because they are 250 4-stroke dual-sport bikes.

BTW. Yamaha sucks. James Stewart now sucks for riding a Yamaha. All your base are belong to us, and YUT-UUGGGGH. The end.
I wasn't referring to you, however I am glad I could appease you with some commonly agreed upon points.
I'm a Chad Reed kind of guy myself.
I own a Kawi as well, not a Yami.
Villopoto will unseat both Reed and Stewart in the next couple years.

Last edited by yugaiw89O; 02-23-2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Heck yes! Villopoto is the man.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Would like to see Villopoto get them both in the next couple of seasons.
Might snare Reed, but there's something Carmichael-esque about Bubba. Might take more than a couple of seasons to nab him!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 AM
1st Gear Member

BTW (and still slightly off topic), are any of you guys stateside able to update me on both Ben Townley and Cody Cooper? I hear they are both still out injured?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Svendura
Top Speed: 106 km/h
Welcome to KF.

Numbers do not tell the whole story. If you want performance there are many enduro bikes out there. The KLX is a old design, a cheap, mild mannered road / trail bike (dual sport in the US). The new WR250R is a modern bike which Yamaha has thrown a lot of money at and is based on an enduro bike.

The KLX is a lot cheaper and should be.

My 2006 KLX250 which was stock at the time would pull 140km/h, I have not run it in since putting the 331cc kit in it and therefore do not know what the top speed is at the moment.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:02 PM
1st Gear Member

So svendura or whatever you name is. What's the problem if you don't like the performance buy something else. Go to a Yamaha board learn about the bike and buy it. It's that simple!

I mean these things are just little plastic bikes you use up and throw away. It's not that big of a decision.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beardoge
I mean these things are just little plastic bikes you use up and throw away. It's not that big of a decision.
Surely you don't mean that!?

Give it time. The FI model is the same engine as the carbed version. It takes a year or two before aftermarket hop ups come in to play. While I'm a fan of EFI, I don't carbs either. Using & tuning a carb is becoming a lost art.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thommo77
but there's something Carmichael-esque about Bubba.
not. RC was in a league of his own. He was smooth, dominating, and just kept hitting you until he was long gone. He never crashed; Bubba always crashes and if Reed can ever get a good start where he isn't trying to catch up to him, he knows that when pressured, Stewart makes mistakes and that's his weakness. I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart doesn't crash himself out of the series. RC and Mc are icons; Stewart is just a guy who is fast as hell, but will quickly fade through injury or new blood. This is his fifth year of Supercross but he still only has one championship. With props like his, that's not a good stat. Notice that in the last main, a no name stuck with him for the first half of the race.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yugaiw89O
not. RC was in a league of his own. He was smooth, dominating, and just kept hitting you until he was long gone. He never crashed; Bubba always crashes and if Reed can ever get a good start where he isn't trying to catch up to him, he knows that when pressured, Stewart makes mistakes and that's his weakness. I wouldn't be surprised if Stewart doesn't crash himself out of the series. RC and Mc are icons; Stewart is just a guy who is fast as hell, but will quickly fade through injury or new blood. This is his fifth year of Supercross but he still only has one championship. With props like his, that's not a good stat. Notice that in the last main, a no name stuck with him for the first half of the race.

Well hello again, IG. I thought you were permanently banned. What is this, your 5th alias or something close to that number?

I'm sure you'll jump right back into character soon. Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Poor performance of EFI model