Plexiglass Headlight Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Plexiglass Headlight Protection

Anyone who rides a railroad bed (or anyone like me who was unlucky enough to spend a few seconds behind Patrick during the Pine Barron’s ride last year got some serious 'stoneage' thrown at them/ their bike...

Over the winter, I worked with Cee Bailey's Aircraft Plastics out of southern Cal to get a decent stone shield for my bike.

Cee Bailey is the manufacturer of many of the plexiglass motorcycle windshields that are on the road today... Very high quality products with step-by-step instructions...

For around $10 bucks plus shipping, these stone shields are super reasonable and good protection for you ride. Simply write him at WWW.ceebaileys.com or call at (800) 788 - 0618.

Here are a few pics:

Name:  atticandbikelen****s005.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  atticandbikelen****s008.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  60.5 KB

Name:  atticandbikelen****s010.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  atticandbikelen****s009.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  60.3 KB

Name:  atticandbikelen****s011.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.9 KB

I found it to be cheap insurance for my lens...

Cheers!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Plexiglass Headlight Protection

So its permanent? Or does it come on and off? Also I wonder if they could put the round stickies closer to the corners. Otherwise that's a great idea, and maintains the over all look of the bike. I saw some made out of mesh screens, I didn't really like those ones. That one you got looks great. Thumbs up man.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:48 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh I forgot to ask, is there a problem with heat?

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

I've been looking for something exactly like that. If I do many more hare scrambles, I'm afraid it's like playing Russian Roulette with the headlight. Sounds like cheap insurance for the inevitable.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Dave, if you don't mind, can you tell me the dimensions of that guard? Or anyone, what is the dimension of the KLX headlight? I don't see a fit for my KTM, but if that one's the right size, that's all that matters.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

NB the stock klx headlight is about 6.5 inches wide by 4 inches high..a wee bit more.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey, no fair, mine's smaller. []

We can't have this. I'm rushing out right now and buying one of those Baja 8" HID race lights.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:28 AM
1st Gear Member

You just want to see one of those suckers on a black klx ... don't ya

I havn't decided on a light yet.....but Baja warned me that that light is WAYYY to bright for the street...lol

Even if I point it straight down. So I'm still considering.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

You might look into a HID conversion. Some folks over on KTM Talk have done one for some of their headlights. Some bulbs are hi/lo beam and will work on the street. You'd just need to find a combination that fits. The ballasts are pretty tiny and it all fits in behind the headlight mask. I have heard those Baja HID lights are out of the question for the street. Just too bright, they would blind any on comers.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

So its permanent? Or does it come on and off? Also I wonder if they could put the round stickies closer to the corners. Otherwise that's a great idea, and maintains the over all look of the bike. I saw some made out of mesh screens, I didn't really like those ones. That one you got looks great. Thumbs up man.
Those circular adhesive strips are actually two separate (front and back) Velcro strips (same as they use for 'Easy pass' car toll booth mounts) so it’s easy to pull off and very heavy duty...

No problem with heat, similar to having that Easy pass sitting in your car baking in the summer sun....

Hope that helps...

Quick Reply: Plexiglass Headlight Protection