Please HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Default Please HELP!

My klx250s is hesitating around 6k rpms and won't go over 7k while in gear. It seems to get worse the faster I'm going.

I thought it was water in the gas so I drained and refilled the tank (93octane).

Then I removed the plug and cleaned it, but nothing has helped the problem.

Please help!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Default RE: Please HELP!

I need just a bit more information to help.

Is the bike completely stock?

How many miles?

Air Cleaner been serviced?

Is the Choke on?

Lots of little things can affect this.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:50 AM

Is the bike completely stock?

No...Muffler work, jetted, hi flow air filter w/ air box cover removed

How many miles?

2,600 miles ( all mods were done in the first 50 miles, its been running great until now )

Air Cleaner been serviced?

Yes. I have serviced it every week or more. I use a twin air filter with No Toil oil.

Is the Choke on?

No

Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 AM

But it WILL rev over 7000 in Neutral or with the clutch pulled in? Will it go all the way to redline? If the problem was electrical, it wouldn't rev at all past a certain point with or without a load.

Try making sure all the electrical connections on the ignition system are tight. Check the connection to the cam position sensor and the throttle position sensor. Is the tachometer bouncing around at all, or is it still smooth? If the connection ot one of hte sensors is bad or if the sensor itself is bad, the biek will run, but as a fialsafe the igniton module may prevent the RPM's from going over 7000 or it is not advancing the ignition.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 AM

Yeah... it will rev to red line with no load on the motor.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 AM

i would install a new plug. cleaning doesnt always help. and the fact that you say it will rev freely with no load on it leads to a secondary ignition problem if it is not fuel related. secondary ignition includes..coil, plug and wire. so plug would be the easiest thing to do before taking it to a shop.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 AM

There's an electrical connection on the left side of the frame at the back of the carb. This is the TPS connection. Just make sure it's tight.

If that does not work, replace the spark plug.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Good catch, Marty - I think I remember several reports from folks that it wasn't fully seated from the dealer and if it works its way loose can result in a stalled bike. Perhaps it is working its way loose but still has a little bit contact, but is not a good connection.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Here is what I have experienced, this is on my KLR650. I added carb cleaner(Techron) once, and it swelled my carb diaphragm. This in turn gave me power up to mid range. I put a new dia/slide in and all was fine. I mostly use chevron fuel and every now and then I have to swap out dia/slide because of swelling. I let the one I take out sit on a shelf and in a week it will shrink back to normal. Weird huh? So, If you lost the power band I suggest inspecting the dia for swelling OR a pinch tear.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:19 PM

Thanks for all the help guys.

Yeah I also think it might be the plug. I have been tring to get off work early enough to go by the dealer to pick up a new spark plug but just have not had the time yet. Hope to do it today. I will also check that connention you guys mentioned.

I will let you guys know what happens. In the mean time what other things could cause this problem if it isn't the plug?

Quick Reply: Please HELP!