Playing on the power lines

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Glad you's guys like my pictures ! I really have a lot of fun poking around out there. Its real relaxing for me.
Xerxes, I also rode power lines when I was younger, and found it was a great place to learn, so now I am doing that again. I havent rode since 96 and that was street riding, I have 3 sleds, and a quad, but off road is kind of new to me again, and I am loving every minute of it. I can trailer to just about anywhere within 3-4 hours and be in riding heaven, but time constraints really hold me back, so I grab a ride whenever I have a few hours. With daylight saving time kicked in, there is not much time left to go play after work. And 29 degrees? Hell, that aint so bad, when we go out on the sleds, its usually mid 20's or less, and snowing, and windy, ahh !! I cant wait

JRock420- if I was riding with someone, swamps are a different story, but when your alone, the water always looks to deep to take a chance of getting buried and having to get my a$$ dug out. If I can see the bottom, ok, if not? yea, 420 down, and one to go back !!

lcpl0331- Boy, you sure know my neck of the woods,eh? I am relearning this state off road possibilities. There aint many places, no doubt. You must be close to RI?
I like the powerlines to play on, its easy to get to them, and not to difficult riding for a guy just getting back off road again. I spend a lot of time in Burriville, riding the quad up there. We have ridden the power lines from Thompson, over to the power plant, great riding. I have been up in there on the KLX, and got into buck hill area, really good riding in there. I have ridden all over George Washington, never had a problem, actually had guys in the green trucks wave to me. Maybe its the plate?
I want to get into Arcadia park this weekend, my understanding is a plated bike is allowed in "most" areas, as long as its not posted.
Where do you do most of your riding?

Old 11-04-2008, 02:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WestOzKLX
Thanks for sharing 40. Checked it out on GoogleEarth. Have you ridden Marther's Vineyard? It's about 100km south east of you. If so, is it worth a trip?
I have spent time on both islands for vacation, ( nantucket & vineyard) and wished I had my bike. But after being there for a few days, I see little in the way of anyone else riding off road stuff, so I started asking around, and heard that its a real bitch to do off road riding. Its mostly fire road type stuff, with lots of private property in the way, with lots of **** landowners that are very into MY property, on MY land and I want MY land to stay as MY land because MY land is not your land, blah, blah, blah, silly yuppies.

So basically, I agree with lcpl0331, its not worth the time or bother. But trailering up to Maine is !! I go there twice a year at least, been taking the quad, but think next year it will be the bike. Its off road heaven up there. Miles and miles of friendly trails, they encourage people to ride off road up there. Great stuff !!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm on the border. ride mostly southern worcester county out towards oxford also have some access to some land north of worcester. I haven't been down in your area for a few years but would go down there in a minute if I got a call. Most of the guys have moved away so the calls a few and far between.

Last edited by lcpl0331; 11-05-2008 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

WOW...............Wow.........and did I mention.......WOW? !!! The fall colors and the power lines look awesome. We have all kinds of power lines around here and to tell you the truth, I need to explore them more. Oh and I see you got the same GPS as I do. Thanks for sharing all of that with us, I know how much times is spent putting a report like that together. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
WOW...............Wow.........and did I mention.......WOW? !!! The fall colors and the power lines look awesome. We have all kinds of power lines around here and to tell you the truth, I need to explore them more. Oh and I see you got the same GPS as I do. Thanks for sharing all of that with us, I know how much times is spent putting a report like that together. Thanks.
Deej, you live in a total different world from me, you must have so many delicious places to ride, I would think Power lines are second rate, no?
We do have the fall colors around here, and I do forget how nice they are for folks that dont see them regularly.
But your in Big Country out there. Mountains everywhere, I would imagine miles and miles of forest, weather thats,,, hmm,,,, ok, we will leave the weather out of it !! But the riding possibilities must be endless?
I ride in Maine often (well, not often enough), and when you go off trail there, the powerlines are not very easy to ride.Horrible usually, unless your in a 4WD mud digger with 38's and swamp tires. I pity the poor guys that gotta get big rigs in there if needed to fix stuff from a storm or whatever.
Nothing like the elaborate trail networks out there. I avoid them as often as possible.

But around here in the urban area its the easiest for me to get to and kill a few hours alone. I suspect I will get bored with them in a year or 2, no idea what I will do then !!

So tell me, any problems with the Etrex? I am on my second one, and wish I had gotten a better one this time.