Pilot Jets Stock carb

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pilot Jets Stock carb

Im confused,
After ordering the needle, clip spacer and 2 jets from the local Kawasaki dealer (boy did I get screwed!) One of the guys in the shop here tells me I also need to change the pilot jet too? I see that some folks have not changed the pilot jet and others have.....What is the consensus here?

I know on my daughters honda they offer a "power up kit" where they sell you a jet,pilot,neddle and clipand give you instructions how to remove the snorkle and baffle.

PILOT OR NO PILOT?[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 07-20-2007, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pilot Jets Stock carb

I did not change. I think it depends on how much air you are really moving. With opening everything up, you may find that you can go up one size to get more power/avoid going lean. However, I live and ride at 5k to 10k in altitude, and the air just isn't there...

Old 07-20-2007, 09:43 PM
1st Gear Member

I live a 4k and ride to 9k and I was advised with my mod selection (hmf slip-on, kdx snorkel, and k&n filter) to bump one on the pilot jet. I know others with this set-up and this elev that it works for, and still others that kept the stock pilot. You may have to experiment, which is no fun since it's a pain in the **** to pull the carb. I finally got the collar in so I'm going to be experimenting for the first time this weekend as well. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I originally istalled a 38 pilot but it lead to an overly rich condition so I went back to the stock. The bike has been running great. I'm sure I could get a little more power by opening up the air box and installing the 38 but after 3 weeks of back and forth with the carb, I'll let well enough alone.

So I'd say that unless you are opening up your airbox in some manner then you'll be okay with the stock pilot.

Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going back down from the #40 pilot too - a weee bit rich for 2500' elevation. DC, want to send me your #38 pilot? : )

Old 07-21-2007, 02:01 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm at sea level and have the 40 pilot. I am at 2 turns out on the FS. Still pops on deceleration. I may go to 2.5 turns out.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:04 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: klx250s_rider

I'm going back down from the #40 pilot too - a weee bit rich for 2500' elevation. DC, want to send me your #38 pilot? : )
Your sig says you have the FS at 2.5 out. Why don't you turn it in some if you think the pilot is a little rich?

Old 07-21-2007, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member

200' above sea level, mods in signature, had the 40 pilot and after I found a leaking vacuum cap on the carb (smog blockoff) it was way too rich. I went back to the stock pilot and its a screamer off the bottom end now.

Old 07-21-2007, 02:41 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

200' above sea level, mods in signature, had the 40 pilot and after I found a leaking vacuum cap on the carb (smog blockoff) it was way too rich. I went back to the stock pilot and its a screamer off the bottom end now.
Where did you have the FS with the 40 and where do you now have the FS with the 35?

Old 07-21-2007, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Hello Mole,
I'm new to this forum, but I've already found the best pipe, and jet kit. FMF makes a power up jet kit for the KLX300 which will work just fine on the 250s. Just jet a little lower. It comes with 4 jets, needle springs, ETC. Price is 59.95 plus shipping. The Q4 exhaust & power bomb header are excelent too. FMF website is fmfracing.com Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Pilot Jets Stock carb