Pics of tires and other stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 07:48 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Pics of tires and other stuff

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Hey, i design and draft things like those "prints" all day long, i am a drafter/ design for a civil engineer firm. Those prints look more like architectural drawings though.
Actually they are the original bid set of prints that I got when I started before the place opened up in July of 1995. They include the structural, mechanical, electrical, and site design. I use them all the time, but it's too bad I never received the as-builts, some sort of problem with the General contractor and the University, and I will probably never get my hands on them.[:@] The Architect is Weinstien Copeland from Seattle. I really like the overhang design of the buildings, except that it really plays havoc on the windows. We have had at least 15-20 units changed out every year since 1995. when the window is half shaded during the day the top can be cool while the bottom half can burn your hand if you touch it. causes the seals to flex and fail. Well our 10 year Milguard warranty is up now, and the large windows (5x8) are about $500.00 each. My budget is going to suffer now. Funny story about me and blueprints. When I was an apprentice electrician down in Longview (1984-85) working for a non union company re-building one of Weyerhaeuser's paper machines and the bleach plant and kiln I got introduced to blueprints. At first I didn't really know what I was looking at, and whenever a foreman or journeyman would come by I would act like I knew what I was looking at, and then something happened, while I was pointing up in the ceiling and looking at the prints and pretending I knew what I was doing, I started to realize that things were begining to make sense. Then I really dove in and did some studying and it all started to make sense. Now over 20 years later, I can read and make sense of any set of prints. I use ours all the time. Wow that was a long story, I need to get to work now.

Ok one more picture of my office. The dean of the College of Forest Resources came out here a few years back and told me he wished his office was as organized as mine. LOL Oh and my office is the only one without windows, in fact it was supposed to be a custodial storage room, but in July of 95 when I was hired we walked around the building and everywhere was like over 100 degrees in all the buildings, then we stepped into this space and it was like 65, and I said right there that I'll take this one. Sure I have 2 gas hot water tanks and a slop sink, but it's a great trade-off for heat, because I don't do heat. Does anyone know where I can get a picture of a window with a scene that looks likes I have a window in my office? LOL

Old 05-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Id take a couple tanks and a sink for not having that heat! I have been reading and looking at prints for a while, we actually dont make "blueprints" any more, at my work we have a huge copy machine, all the contractors get an actual copy. Cant say i have the 20 years experience with them because i am only 23... lol .... looks like a nice set up though. Did you buy both of those tires new? just plan on using the other when the first wears out? I am pretty sure i am gonna get the kenya tire. Let me know how it is..

Old 05-24-2006, 11:05 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

Ok I was really bored at work and decided to snap a few pics. Here are the 606 and Kenda tires side by side.

Okay I want to think you for taking a picture of the two tires together... this has made my mind up.. I will be going with the Dunlop 606... much more aggressive looking in my mind.... What size did you order??? the 120-80-19??? I belive that is the one that we have all been talking about that will fit.... let me know so I can place the order/....

Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: deej
Here are a couple of my shop at work, or rather the taxpayers of Washington State's shop. lol.
Cool, I had a shop and didn't even know it! Glad to see my money going to good use... Does this mean I can stop by anytime and use it?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Sure if you're in Washington come over for a visit, I'll try to get you in. LOL I know the Maintenance Mechanic...oh yea that's me.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:59 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

Id take a couple tanks and a sink for not having that heat! I have been reading and looking at prints for a while, we actually dont make "blueprints" any more, at my work we have a huge copy machine, all the contractors get an actual copy. Cant say i have the 20 years experience with them because i am only 23... lol .... looks like a nice set up though. Did you buy both of those tires new? just plan on using the other when the first wears out? I am pretty sure i am gonna get the kenya tire. Let me know how it is..
I ordered the 606 so I could finish out the front tire with a similar tire, then I'm gonna try the Kenda K270 set. I suppose its that obsessive compulsiveness rearing it's ugly head again, but I like things to look right.[]

Old 05-25-2006, 01:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Okay I want to think you for taking a picture of the two tires together... this has made my mind up.. I will be going with the Dunlop 606... much more aggressive looking in my mind.... What size did you order??? the 120-80-19??? I belive that is the one that we have all been talking about that will fit.... let me know so I can place the order/....
Quote:

Hey Gravy the tire size is 120/90/18

Old 05-25-2006, 03:06 AM
1st Gear Member

thank you!!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:24 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Hey Deej - thanks also for the side by side photo. BTW, it looks to me that the D606 is quite a bit more narrow in width than the K270. Is that true? With a simple graphics program I can measure the number of pixels and it looks to be about 4.5 inches wide rather than the 5.1 inches of the K270 from outside tread to outside tread. Is that right?

If so, Gravy, you can probably go to the next wider up if you want a wider rear tire to get a little more surface area on the ground and better traction.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:41 AM
1st Gear Member

I think that's correct, and keep in mind there's a trade off between traction and power to the back wheel. In other words the bigger or wider the tire the more power it takes to get it to spin. But then too narrow of a tire will spin and not get you going.

Quick Reply: Pics of tires and other stuff