Phone Mount - Should I???

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 08:34 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Phone Mount - Should I???

Hello Forum,

I just bought myself a KLX 300 and I am considering buying a phone mount for the handle bars for my trips on/off road. However, I read somewhere that people who use them, find that the cameras on their phones (particularly I-phones) can’t handle the vibration and it wrecks the phone camera. Is there any truth to that? Particularly with off roaring and with I-phones.

Thanks.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes it is true. QuadLock I believe makes a phone mount that dampens vibration. Check 'em out.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:27 PM
1st Gear Member

Okay. Thanks. But, I guess if that’s true it’s probably best just to keep the phone in a pocket or in a backpack.

Old 05-30-2023, 11:40 PM
MXM
1st Gear Member

I saw it with someone using an iPhone and it happened to my Samsung temporarily but it recovered. This was using cheap bolt on phone holders that do nothing to stop vibrations and the camera sensors in the phones literally float in a fluid and get disrupted.

Then on another ride my phone fell out of the holder and got broken on the road. Ruined the ride as I couldn't navigate offroad.

Mind you, I had already ordered 3 quad lock mounts, 1 for each bike, but they were still in the mail 😂

Now I have a quad lock case on my S10 which is brilliant on itself alone, but I have 3 handle bar mounts 1 for each bike, each with the vibration damper. And these things are brilliant.

In the last year I've done over 10k kms between 3 bikes on and offroad and my phone is loving it 😂

Navigation is a breeze with the phone on the bars and the Gaia Maps navigation app helping me out.

I highly recommend the quad locks. They seem expensive till you have to go get a new screen replacement for your phone.
​​​​
​​​​

Old 05-30-2023, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmmm … That does sound promising. It even looks like you hit lots of bumps and rattles off roading … however, I heard that Iphones are much more susceptible to this issue than androids are, and I have an iPhone.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:05 AM
MXM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hutchie
Hmmm … That does sound promising. It even looks like you hit lots of bumps and rattles off roading … however, I heard that Iphones are much more susceptible to this issue than androids are, and I have an iPhone.
The vibration damper allows the phone to wiggle around. You'd only really need your phone mounted for navigation purposes. Yes, we ride alot off rough offroad.

This is one of the smoother trails but you can see the quad lock working is magic....

Old 05-31-2023, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

That looks like fun!

Old 05-31-2023, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member

I would venture to say the phone mount price should be commensurate with the cost of the phone... aka don't skimp on the quality of the mount.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:30 AM
1st Gear Member

May be too expensive of an option but the Trail tech Voyager pro is awesome for this duty.
One of my favorite riding purchases.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I would never use my active phone on a vehicle. You want it on your body in case you need it...from the bottom of a revene or side of a road.

I buy cheap phones from eBay and use those on the bike. For me, Osmand and GPX files are easy, free, and easily sharable. I use that system on all of my bikes, on and off road. Even the track bikes use free timing (GPS) on used crap phones.

If you want video, buy a device built for that and the related vibration.

Quick Reply: Phone Mount - Should I???