Performance With Backfire Screen Removed & Twin-Air Backfire Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Performance With Backfire Screen Removed & Twin-Air Backfire Air Filter

That's an interesting thread ... glad I'm not using Motul!!!

I think there's a bunch of "dual layer" air filters on the market, so the idea that the second layer negates removing the screen in the first place just doesn't make sense.

The idea of a flame retardant air filter oil makes a lot of sense to me, but I've never seen any advertised. I sent an e-mail to No-Toil (which is what I chose to use with me Twin-Air), and asked them about the flamability, but never received a reply. (Is that abad sign?!??)

I've got a little foam trimmed from the Twin-Air (but its from the bottom edge, not the inner "flame retardant" layer), so maybe I'll spray some No-Toil on it and see what happens when its attacked by a lighter.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Performance With Backfire Screen Removed & Twin-Air Backfire Air Filter

Spray? My No-Toil is the red sticky oil... Is the spray working well for you? Seems like it would be easier to apply evenly. But thinner? The oil is quite thick.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

Spray? My No-Toil is the red sticky oil... Is the spray working well for you? Seems like it would be easier to apply evenly. But thinner? The oil is quite thick.

And flamible.....[]

Old 03-29-2007, 09:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Im in the same position as Jason, just removed the screen last week and using the same filter, with air box lid removed,
i keep a #8 socket and ratchet in the tool bag just in case i have to get the seat off in a hurry,

Old 03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Josh: Took out the snorkle, but left the cover in place and went for a short ride at lunch. At first I thought the performance did improve somewhat from yesterday, but then decided that it was just slight or even negligable. But there is definitely a difference from last year.. Whether its the backfire screen, or the air filter, or both, I don't know, but its NOT due to my grueling 30 minutes of wheelie practice!!!

EDIT: Thinking about this again - taking out the KDX snorkle is probably not very different from running without any snorkle, since the overall opening is about the same size. The KDX snorkle will introduce some slight resistance, so not seeing much/anyimprovement between yesterday and today is not surprising.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Jason: The No-Toil that I have is a red spray. They say to spray it on, massage it evenly throughout the foam, then wait 15 minutes for the alchohol to evaporate before installing. (They don't say how much to spray on, though.) I put the air filter into a plastic bag and sprayed it into the foam all over. It saturates the foam where the stream hits it, so I trried to get coverage of direct hits at least every 1.5 inches. The oil is very red where it saturates the foam, but I massaged it around for about 10 minutes to get an even pink coloring. It was slimy and sticky at first,but gummy/tacky by the time I installed it.

The No-toil came as a kit with the spray on oil, the cleaner, and a tube of sealing grease. The grease looks like green cake icing. (Maybe the KTM grease is orange?!??) I put it around the base of the filter like toothpaste on a toothbrush, then spread it evenly with my finger. That went Ok, but made a bit of a mess when fitting the filter back into the airbox. Next time I think I'll spread the grease directly onto the plastic where the air filter gets seated.