Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 11:30 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges

I’m looking into adding a Pelican case (either 1300 or 1400, can’t decide) to the Nomadic rack on my 250SF.

One thing that might present a “challenge” is the bolts used to secure the Nomadic rack. They stick up quite a bit.

Has anyone installed a Pelican case on a Nomadic rack?

If so, what did you do?

Pix here:

Name:  rack6.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  rack7.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  37.8 KB

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2011, 01:05 AM
1st Gear Member

It can certainly be done.
First, as you said, the bolts stick up a bit too much, but not as bad as you think.
You need to grind down the collars they are going though so that they sit down about a bolthead thickness lower.
Then what I did was weld nuts to the rack, then used large wingnut headed bolts that I could screw in by hand, they ran down thew the pelican case threading into the nuts on the rack. You can also use eyebolts.
As you can see I used 3 attachment points, I would suggest using 4.
I used a Pelican 1450 Case.
If you dont ahve a welder, another way you can do it is to use U bolts, that will clamp onto the rack and bolt up through the bottom of the case.
I didnt even bother trying to seal any of the holes, and never noticed any water getting inside.
I have heard this isnt good for the sub-frame with alot of weight on a rack like this, but I never noticed any issues, but it wasnt on there all that many miles either. If you plan to have a good bit of weight in it, you might want to gusset the sub-frame in the back.
Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks!

And wow, impressive work.

But to be honest, my garage isn't Monster Garage.

I'm thinking about using those securing points on the Nomadic rack for the Pelican case as well. Essentially cut the case at those points and use that as a securing point for both the rack and case. Then have another two points using the clips on the case.

However, if I go with the 1300 case, I might be able to put the case in front of (or towards the rear, depends on how you look at it) of those rack bolts. So the challenge might be avoided. Exterior dimensions of the 1300 are 10.62" x 9.68" x 6.87". Obvioiusly there will be overhang but I don't plan on loading up the case beyond rain gear and my wallet (which is quite small these days ).

Old 08-13-2011, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

If you use a bit smaller case then I did, and you dont plan on putting that much weight in it, you could just tie the case on the rack really. There are some spots by the latches and by the back hinges that you could drill holes to run some paracord or small rope through.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Don't drill holes in your case!
Give me a day or so and I'll post some pics. I'll try to post one of the overall setup now and close ups later.

Attached Thumbnails Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges-img_0373_1.jpg  
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by brownie2
Don't drill holes in your case!
Give me a day or so and I'll post some pics. I'll try to post one of the overall setup now and close ups later.

Cool. Thanks.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Hmm - why not utilise those two nuts instead oif fighting them ?
Remove them and replace them with two longer bolts - and mount them from below (up side down). Then drill two holes in your case to match the upstickng bolts and put a washer and a not on them - from inside the care.
Then You just need 1 more mounting point to the rear.

Btw - why bother with a rack if you just want it for a case like that ?
I mounted my topcase without any rack;

Attachment 4525

Note the two extra holes - has to be directly over the rear frames mounting point for the rear fender.

Attachment 4526

The two bars was part of the mounting hardware from the topbox I bought.
Then it was just a matter of mounting the base plate for the box and I was done:

Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges-img_0520.jpg

And I even got a rear rack out of it - I can just take off the box and use the mount plate as a samll rack ;o)

Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Not my day as to attaching pics....anyway - here's # 1

Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges-img_0512.jpg

Old 08-14-2011, 01:14 PM
1st Gear Member

....and here's # 2.
Oh - I forgot; used 10mm alloy pipe to cut distance tubes from - thereby raising the mounting bars over the rear fender.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:16 PM
1st Gear Member

...as I said: here's # 2 (I hope...
Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges-img_0516.jpg)

Quick Reply: Pelican case on Nomadic rack... and possible challenges