PBI PO-45-13 sprocket questions !

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member
Default PBI PO-45-13 sprocket questions !

I spent Friday/Saturday in the PA woods and 3 things stood out. First, I spent alot of time on the tighter trails haulin' in first, wishing for 2nd, but as soon as I'd get into second I'd have to downshift for something...barely. Also, I need a little more engine breaking down the steep hills. Sooooooooo..........I want to put a 13 tooth on ASAP. (3rd item was the tires STINK in wet/loamy. soft stuff, especially the front but that will have to wait).

I bought the JTF565.13 sprocket ($8), not realizing I also needed 3 .035" spacers (according to someone else on this forum) to make up for the lack of built in spacing on the stock unit. I tried to install it and realized the same thing. Noone in the area seems to know what I am asking for, though.

1. After hearing most of you going to the PBI sprocket, I'd like to know if it needs anything or is it just bolt on?

2. Does anyone knows of anyone who has one in stock right now?

3. I'd also like to know if someone can get me the spacers locally.....I would gladly pay for you to throw them in an envelope and mail em out! I'd hate to see the JTF sprocket go to waste, I'm sure I'll go through a few sprockets in what's left of my lifetime !

Answers to any or all of the questions would be much appreciated.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: PBI PO-45-13 sprocket questions !

rkutzner Try a PBI PO57-13 PRO* Look up Western Power Sports then go to dealer locater Maryland part # 50- 057 13 I have one on, bolts right up.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I just went to a machine shop and had my friend make a 105 thousands spacer and it works great. But I would like to get a bolt on 13 with the silencer and vibration dampener.

deej

Old 05-02-2006, 05:07 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

I just went to a machine shop and had my friend make a 105 thousands spacer and it works great. But I would like to get a bolt on 13 with the silencer and vibration dampener.

deej
I'm guessing there is one of those out there somewhere but it's going to be like finding the Grail. What we need is a late model bike that came from the factory with a 13t c/s that would also fit our bike. Let us know if you ever find one.

Old 05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tbav8or

rkutzner Try a PBI PO57-13 PRO* Look up Western Power Sports then go to dealer locater Maryland part # 50- 057 13 I have one on, bolts right up.
Can you check and verify that it is the PO-057/13 and not the PO-045/13 that everyone else has used? I guess I can call them and ask the difference between the '45' and the '57'.

Thanks, all, this should get me going.........

Old 05-02-2006, 06:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

spacers.......what? i'm trying to install my JT 13-tooth, haven't gotten the oem one off yet. do i need these as well? i don't want to take it off only to see i have to put it back on. i have the sprocket for the XR600 that bmwhd said fit. is this a different sprocket?
If you mean the one for the XR650L that I recommended, then you don't need spacers.

There are several sprockets that fit without spacers including the PBI PO-45/13, AFAM 24502, Sprocket Specialties 514XK-13, etc.

Old 05-02-2006, 09:17 PM
1st Gear Member

spacers.......what? i'm trying to install my JT 13-tooth, haven't gotten the oem one off yet. do i need these as well? i don't want to take it off only to see i have to put it back on. i have the sprocket for the XR600 that bmwhd said fit. is this a different sprocket?
Don't try it (the JT) without the spacers....I learned about the spacers the hard way. I noticed that the sprocket fit on but didn't have that extra shoulder on it. The nut would bottom out on the end of the threads before tightening on the sprocket. So I did a search on this forum and found an 'old' post talking about the spacers. Someone found them at a motorcycle shop, 2 sizes were available, the smallest was the right one. Take your sprocket with you when you look for them.

Anyways, seems that Todd (and others) have identified a ton more that don't need the spacers. I plan to get one of those and keep the JT as a spare while looking for someone who can help me with the spacers. It just isn't worth sending the sprocket back. My local shop says they can't help, I have a freind looking for them in PA........

Old 05-03-2006, 04:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I was just on Tucker Rocky Distributing '06 off road catalog section drive pg720 . they have a listing for the '06 KLX250 Sunstar sprocket #90-6513
ORIGINAL: rkutzner

Don't try it (the JT) without the spacers....I learned about the spacers the hard way. I noticed that the sprocket fit on but didn't have that extra shoulder on it. The nut would bottom out on the end of the threads before tightening on the sprocket. So I did a search on this forum and found an 'old' post talking about the spacers. Someone found them at a motorcycle shop, 2 sizes were available, the smallest was the right one. Take your sprocket with you when you look for them.

Anyways, seems that Todd (and others) have identified a ton more that don't need the spacers. I plan to get one of those and keep the JT as a spare while looking for someone who can help me with the spacers. It just isn't worth sending the sprocket back. My local shop says they can't help, I have a freind looking for them in PA........

Quick Reply: PBI PO-45-13 sprocket questions !