Parts for 7500mile service

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Parts for 7500mile service

I am quickly comeing up on my 7500 mile service and I want to compile a list of parts to have on hand and best source.
I am thinking of using this thread as my notebook & with would apreciate any input on what to have on hand and where to get the parts. I will post what I come up with. Just getting started tonight. Part of my thoughts are since I got a sf for the gf extra parts that fit both are not a bad thing to have when you are 8000miles from the parts store.
Parts to get
1. Valve cover gasket-I have read in old posts that while this gasket should not need replaced often it does.
BikeBandit $37.75
speedsupplies 11060-1318 GASKET,HEAD COVER $31.90
Leesons $30.12
MRCycles $30.21
Japan 1740yen Which is $19.40 May have to get it from Japan!
2. Set of valve shims- I am sure my bike will need some valve shims it starts a little different than when I got it.
http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oe...odelyearid=511 Individual shims at $5.32ea What sizes should i get. Should I get more of certin sizes?
Dennis Kirk
3. Timeing chain I think mine makes too much noise but dont have much to compare it to. This will be an expensive spare but from old posts they do seem to fail prematurly on these bikes.
BikeBandit Cam Chain, Part # 92057-1416, $85.52

4. Jets for her bike since I am shopping for parts anyway. I think my fcr is fine.
Dynojet $64.98 for KLX300kit
JCMotors $49.60

5. KDX200 snorkle for her bike 14073-1577
speedsupplies $26.98
leesons $25.48
MRCycles $25.56

Last edited by maninthesea; 03-01-2010 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

7500 mile service? uhhhhhhh I must have missed that bulletin....LOL I've just changed oil on a reg basis and oiled the chain. Works for me. I'm at the 13,100 mile mark, if it don't need fixing why break it....wait no, if its not breakable then don't fix.......hmmmm You can get a good look a a T-Bone if you stuck your head up a....no that's not it. Forget it.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
7500 mile service? uhhhhhhh I must have missed that bulletin....LOL I've just changed oil on a reg basis and oiled the chain. Works for me. I'm at the 13,100 mile mark, if it don't need fixing why break it....wait no, if its not breakable then don't fix.......hmmmm You can get a good look a a T-Bone if you stuck your head up a....no that's not it. Forget it.
He's talking about the maintinence schedule, page 74 in your manual.
7500 miles is when you're supposed to check a lot of things.
This is how dealers get to screw the non mechanical type of riders and charge $300+ to look at your bike for you.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it.. I'd check the valve clearances, change the oil, plug, flush coolant, and call it a day.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I think we all missed the 7,500mile tune-up. Or did them earlier. Stick to valve cam clearance check and the rest should be good. Also, the spark plug if it is the orginal one. If it is, get a NGK IX plug.

As for the timing chain making noise. Do a search. There is ton of info on it. I know, I input some of it when I had the that problem.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:31 AM
1st Gear Member

What i love about the klx is gas, oil changes, tires, hmm chain adjustments, hmmmmm MAYBE check valve clearance to find it in spec, o wait annnnnd RIDE THE **** OUTTA IT!!

Old 02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
1st Gear Member

Becuase of the lack of parts in these parts I want to get items I think i will use sooner or later. I had 3 plugs, 3 fuel filters and 6 oil filters shipped with the bike. I plan to change the plug and fuel filter regardless. I am running low on oil filters so I need to order those. I do plan to do all the work but I also have a backup plan a friend who is a bike mechanic. He mostly likes to work on Harleys but he did go to school on most brands at the bike school in Orlando. I serviced all his dive gear so I could call in a favor when I get in a jam.

Does anyone have the part #s for the timeing chain and a valve shim kit handy? I did a search or two yesterday looking for part # for a valve shim kit and could not find it. Found a lot of threads but no part #
Cheers Jim
Edit= I found a place to get valve shims at $5.32ea Should I get all or just most common and should I get multiples of some? LINK

Last edited by maninthesea; 02-13-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member

I would not order valve shims till you know exactly which ones you will need. There are many many thickness ones, and you'll spend a fortune if you buy them all hoping to get the ones you need... Measure first, buy only the ones you need (if any, I doubt it).

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
1st Gear Member

Jim here is a quote out of a thread nobrakes put up on ADV rider when he did his valves. I dont have a link. I had saved it with pics, to a MS word document for my own future reference. I can Email that to you, PM me with your email if you want. You could also search for it on the ADV forum. NB ordered a full set of shims before he started. A little expensive just because you get some you might no need, but then at least your covered, and you don't have to wait.
Dan

Nobrakes quote
""I had checked my clearences at about 800 miles and found one to be out of spec, and the other three to be borderline, I did not adjust my clearences at that time because I did not have the required shims. After that I ordered a set of Hot-Cams 7.48 mm shims off e-bay ($66.00+shipping) (seller was bull.racing). I bought the whole kit, because both of the dealers in my area require me to special order them, and it takes 7 days to get them in and I didn't want to have to either leave the bike apart for that long or to have to take it all apart a second time when they came in. With the whole kit, you should have everything you need without having to order any extra parts once you get in there. This is an issue, because in order to know what shim you need to bring the clearence into spec, you have to know what shim is installed. And the only way to know what shim is installed is to open it up and check. By the time everything came in I had about 950 miles or so on it.""

Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM
1st Gear Member

You can order the valve shim kit from Hot Cams. The kit will include a wide range of sizes that you may need.

As for the cam chain. I did the research for you. I found my old acticle when I did mine. Part numbers are also included.

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...t=timing+chain

Quick Reply: Parts for 7500mile service