Over Heating / Fan Switch, Solution Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 01:33 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Over Heating / Fan Switch, Solution Wanted

Over heating may be overstated. Actually my problem seems to involve the high temperature indicator warning light and the fan switch.

Riding today on some old worn out roads in the local forest, with lots of blown-down logs and deep ruts. Going was slow and tough. For the first time since I've owned this bike, the red heat warning light came on. First thing I checked was whether the radiator fan was turning or not. It was not. After a bit of fiddling and checking, I notice the fan eventually did come on and the warning light did eventually go off. I watched this this happen several times, but the fan always came on after the warning light.

Before today I can't remember the fan ever coming on at all. I had to short across the fan plug to make sure the fan even worked.

It seems like I have read this situation occurring to others, though I have not been able to find these accounts now.

It seems counter intuitive to me that the warning light would come on before the fan. Even if this is normal for the KLX, I would like to change mine to have the fan come on at a lower temperature than the warning light.

Has anyone encountered this problem and solved it?

Does anyone know if a lower temperature fan switch is available?

I did read where one member wired his fan with a manual over ride switch, but he also had a temperature gauge. I'd rather not have to worry about turning the fan on and off.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:41 AM
1st Gear Member

My fan switch failed in the first 1500km... Aftermarket switches are available for a lot less than oem.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Never Mind, for Now

My request for assistance might have been premature.

I should have checked the repair manual first. According to it, the hot warning light should not come on until the temperature reaches 225 - 235 degrees. The fan switch comes on at 203-214 degrees.

One of my switches has to be bad. Guessing the warning light switch since bike has never overheated before and there was no loss of coolant. Testing both switches is in order and described in the manual.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:24 AM
1st Gear Member

It's VERY difficult to overheat these bikes... lots of people remove the reservoir because they're so sure it wont be an issue. That warning light / switch is very suspect.

Old 10-12-2015, 02:56 PM
1st Gear Member

I've a similar problem. Replaced the sensor/switch with new OEM and it didn't fix it. Checked them both per the manual and they both function per spec. I put in a manual fan switch and call it good, watching temps on the Vapor computer and knowing when the bike will be getting hot (e.g., long, slow climb).

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Per your example, results of my testing today yielded identical results. Both switches proved to be in spec. I then tested the thermostat which went wide open at 185 degrees. I did not detect any movement of the thermostat at 160 so was leaning toward replacing it, but may not help the problem.

I'm guessing now that the high temp warning comes on first since its directly downstream from the motor. The fan switch is further downstream with two radiators in between, so coolant temperature might be cool enough to not trigger the fan, especially if in a low flow mode (maybe thermostat not open enough).

I may have to resort to the over ride fan switch, but might try a different thermostat first.

Thanks for the personal knowledge.

Last edited by Oldad; 10-13-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: HUA
Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM
1st Gear Member

I only saw my warning light on once, and that was when I realized the fan wasn't coming on. Before that, the fan would come on fairly regularly on the technical trails.