Ordered a sprocket and chain....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 01:57 AM
1st Gear Member
Exclamation

Originally Posted by TNC
OK...my calculator burned up after the second set of computations. You owe me a calculator. I'll PM you the mailing instructions.
I'm with TNC on this, only I was using the calcinlator betwixt the ears so that's more tougher to replackate.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 AM
1st Gear Member

lol... lots of good posts today

Old 06-29-2012, 04:16 AM
1st Gear Member

I think it'll work according to the crazy math, got some room left to slide the axle forward about a 1/2".
As long as the fat new tire I just mounted will slide up that far. Went up to a 5.1 from the 4.6" stocker. The front will get fatter tomorrow at work, on break (which may get extended), going from 3" to 3.25". Figured they'd be even better at low pressure taking on the boulders which keep jumping in front of me!
Thanks for the laughs guys, today made me surly, but bike maintenance, a pint, and the forum fixed that.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:11 AM
1st Gear Member

So I got my sprocket and chain (WITH NO MASTER LINK), thanks Rocky Mountain!
Their response was, "We can get it to you by Monday", OK great, I was going to ride it Saturday, argggh. He told me I should've ordered sooner if I wanted it for the weekend. I told him they should've sent a chain with a master link b/c I had the rest before the weekend!
Way to keep a new/former customer. Well, they tried but I was a little annoyed....
So, I'll let you know Monday(?) if it works.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM
1st Gear Member

So...after a week of waiting for my master link...I got the 47T sprocket on the wheel. (I also used the "wheel off the bike" time to install a rim lock.)
With a 108 link chain it works! Only had to move the wheel forward by millimeters!
The first wheel spins took the opportunity to "modify" the bottom chain guard with the teeth of the cog, guess I don't need to see about moving it forward.
Oh, and the upper chain guard came off, the rubbing was too loud, but might also "self-modify" if given the opportunity.
The chain removal thread was a nice to read before changing the chain, it had been a few years since I did one.
Ride results....1st gear now not so twitchy and more usable for offroad, as is 2nd! A little slower on the road, but hey what's my hurry? Going to work, I make a point to never rush to work, so all is good on the KLX front!
Again, KLX250 forum members to the rescue, I thank you for your support!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
OK, lets do the math....
45 to 47, means that it is 2 tooth longer. 1/2 of the sprocket is covered by the chain, so going to a 47 means the chain will be (2tooth x 1/2=) 1 link more sitting on the sprocket. One link is 5/8".... moving the rear axle forward by 5/16" will creat 5/8" slack (5/16" x 2 (top & bottom)).
So if your current chain allowance on the adj has about 5/16" available to the front of the mc, you should be good to go. Note: Wear is not calculated, so results may vary.
chainman…

definitely 2 links…definitely...

Old 07-08-2012, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member

I am still using the stock gearing but I am now thinking I might throw on a 45 or 47 rear. Which would you guys recommend for my upcoming ride on the TOI? I would like to stay with the 14 cs, but will pack a 13 as well.

Last edited by redpillar; 07-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I run a stock front sprocket and a 46 rear with a 108 links. It makes the top end in top gear on the asphalt usable. This dropped the ratio just enough that I could actually run top gear around town. Off road, it provided more torque for slow speed obstacle avoidance and hill climbs.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by redpillar
I am still using the stock gearing but I am now thinking I might throw on a 45 or 47 rear. Which would you guys recommend for my upcoming ride on the TOI? I would like to stay with the 14 cs, but will pack a 13 as well.
RP: You are running a 351 now, right? The first leg of T1 is described as difficult and if I were still with the 250, I'd be thinking 13/49 like I had early on and change up to 14 or 15 in Poky if I felt the need. The first leg sounds like part of the most difficult part of T1 and I'd want low gears because speed isn't primary on that leg from what I read. Now with the 351 and a 45 in back, I'd start T1 with a 13/45. But I'm probably less experienced than you. Will the 47 do the 13/14/15 combo that the 45 and 49 will? That would be my decision point. You're on an '09 which may be different than my '06. Envious of your planned ride .

Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks Scott, this years track is different than last years. There is about 600 miles of single track and the difficult stuff is spread out over about four or five of the seven days. I also need to be wary of fuel mileage as there are a couple of days that require over 200 miles between fuel stops. According to this chart

Sprocket Calculator - the easy motorcycle sprocket and chain calculator

I am thinking I will go with a 45 and pack a 13 14 and 15 tooth CS. The 15 will give me the same ration as the stock set up. The 13 will give a 13.7 % increase in torque which is substantial. the 14 will give 6.7. Did you say that the 45 will allow the same chain length?

Quick Reply: Ordered a sprocket and chain....